Persian Princess: Mariam's Arrival

Prince Isaac POV

Being away from Raquel is hard. She is in her final months of pregnancy. Benjamin and I are in Rome. It would take a week to return home. Thankfully we will be making the venture in a few hours. I would hate to miss my second born child's birth.

Sometimes I still can't believe I'm a prince. The kingdom rests in my hands if Benjamin perished. Heaven forbid that. I'm too young to be king. I am only 24 years old. Its hard to believe my son Gabriel is 6 years old. We became parents a year into our marriage. I don't regret a minute of it though.

Later that evening.........

"Your Highness, your presence is requested by the king." Hatach said bowing slightly.

I immediately did what was commanded of me. Entering his tent I waited patiently for his permission to approach.

"You may approach Isaac. This is a family matter. I'm your brother at the moment." Benjamin spoke.

"While you're indeed my brother, you are also king and due respect." I answered.

"Wise words my prince but this is about my sister." He replied.

"What's wrong with Raquel?" I inquired worry seeping into my voice.

"I've just received word that she was put on mandatory bed rest last week. I remember when Sarah was told to do so, our son was born at the end of the week." He said.

"You believe she will birth our child this week." I exclaimed.

"Yes I am quite sure she will. Which is why I have shortened our trip. We leave tonight for Susa. Hatach was ordered to pack our things. I would feel awful knowing we missed the birth." He stated.

"Then let us leave." I agreed and went to inform the Immortals.

Back In Susa, Persia........

Princess Raquel POV

"Hegai, please send for Hadassah." I said and he left to do as asked.

Minutes later my mother arrived. I was in sheer pain. I knew that this child was coming and quickly. I would attempt to delay the delivery until Isaac returned. I just hope its soon.

"You are nervous about something dear." Hadassah said.

"What if this baby is born before my husband arrives? What shall I do? I can't go through this alone." I sobbed.

"Sweetheart you have Sarah and I. You would never be alone. I'm sure Benjamin has received my letter and is making plans to be home soon." She said.

"Mother, you sent word of my bed rest? Why?" I exclaimed.

"Isaac needs to be informed of his wife and unborn child." She said sternly.

I closed my mouth chastised for my outburst. She was right.

Later that week..........

Hadassah POV

Today's the day I just know it. Raquel sent for the physician this morning. She's in excruciating pain. I'm waiting by the main stairs outside the palace. My sons were an hour outside Susa. Thankfully Hatach wrote to me so I knew to expect them. After all these years he's still one of my best friends. I often slip up and call him Jesse.

I often wonder if we would have been something if the edict never happened. Yet I'm grateful that it did. I met Xerxes. While lost in my thoughts I hear Hegai's voice.

"Hadassah, where are you?" He yelled out.

"I'm of the wind. Who's sound is heard yet none can tell from whence it comes or where it goes." I yelled back.

He appeared moments later smiling. I returned it.

"I believe you have said that before, my lady. So many years ago." He responds.

"Yet you always know where to find me old friend." I stated.

"Either in the library or garden. These stairs are in the middle." He replied.

"The king and prince should be at the main gate now. Prepare for the new heir to be announced within 2 hours. Assemble the scribes and await Benjamin's command. Do so quickly, I wish not for my son to know I have ordered such." I said and he departed to carry out my commands.

"You know my dear girl, the king will find out when he enters court. The scribes never assemble so quickly." Xerxes spoke.

"My love I am well aware of my misstep as Queen Mother but we have not time to waste. I'm certain Isaac will arrive first as to not miss the birth." I said nervously.

"I will speak with our son to placate him just this once but for future reference my queen, FOLLOW PROTOCOL!!!!!! Even you are subject to the king." He said sternly.

Chastised for my error in judgement, I retreated into the palace. As soon as I was a few steps away from Raquel's bedroom I heard my son's voice.

"Take my things to my chambers, I need to be with my wife."

Soon Isaac was seen sprinting towards me. He stopped to compose himself and we entered together.

"Okay Your Highness one final push." The physician said.

"I'm so tired." She said drowsy.

"My love please give it all you've got. I'm here right beside you." Isaac said urgently.

She pushed as hard as she could until faint cries filled the room.

"Congratulations its a new little princess." The physician said.

"My precious baby girl." She exclaimed then collapsed.

"Raquel, wake up. Darling please wake up." Isaac exclaimed in panic.

He repeatedly tapped her face getting no response. I grew nervous at the sight of my daughter's stillness. Sobs filled the air as Isaac broke down.

"DON'T JUST STAND THERE, HELP MY WIFE!!!!!" He roared at the physician.

20 minutes later she took a deep breath. We all exhaled in relief. I finally understand how Xerxes felt watching me collapse after Benjamin's birth. He thought I was gone. This was by far the scariest moment of my life.

"What are we naming her?" I inquired.

"Her name is Mariam, after my mother." Isaac said to which Raquel nodded in agreement.

In the dark hours of the evening letters were sent into all the provinces announcing Princess Mariam's arrival. Benjamin of course knew what I had done but wasn't furious. He understood where I was coming from. I said a prayer over my family and went to bed.

King Xerxes POV

"Welcome to the world my little princess. I will always watch over you. I love you." I said kissing her cheek. She smiled and pouted her lips as if to kiss me back. My empire continues to expand. I'm truly blessed and have obtained the honor of a king.

Hey loves,

A new princess and Hadassah is getting old. We've got a while before she passes on though. So don't you worry.

Until next time..........

-Queen Liv