The Royal Children: Journey To Ectabana

Prince Michael POV

We're up at dawn because we will be traveling for the holidays. It's tradition ever since my grandmother was queen. I'm excited though, never been to Ectabana.

"Michael, come on everyone is waiting on you." My mother said.

I followed her out the palace and into our liter. I looked out the curtain to see Gabriel and Mariam entering theirs. She's only a year old now anyways. Probably won't even remember this. A constant tapping on my arm forces me to look over my shoulder.

"Mikey where are we going? Why are mom and dad leaving the palace?" Rebeckah asked.

"Becky we are going to another palace. Don't worry we will come back home in a few weeks." I said smiling.

"But why?" She inquired.

"We always celebrate the holidays there. The last time we went you were still very young and don't remember." I said.

She looked out the curtain at the scenery while we departed. By sunset we were just a few miles away from the beautiful palace. I watched my parents talk about how much has changed since the days when they were teenagers. I guess getting married at 18 makes you feel old faster.

Prince Gabriel POV

My parents were busy fussing over Mariam. I understand though traveling with a one year old is rough. She won't sit still. I see Becky leaning out her liter beside us. She starts blowing kisses which I return.

"Hey Gabe, are you having fun?" She calls out.

"Of course I love the holidays. It's the only time we all get to see each other without interruption." I stated.

"That's true I miss mom and dad all the time." She sighed.

"When are you going to stop calling them that?" I inquired.

"What mom and dad? What am I supposed to say then that's who they are." She said.

"What does Michael call them?" I queried.

"He says mother and father all the time. I think it's weird." She replied.

"That's because we are supposed to call them that. The only reason Uncle Benjamin hasn't corrected you is because you're 5 years old. He's being lenient." I respond.

"Oh well I guess I will work on that. I didn't know." She said dejected.

"I know that's why I asked. It's okay Becky you're not in trouble." I said as we arrived at the gates.

Princess Rebeckah POV

After my conversation with Gabe I felt like an errant child. I will use this trip to fix my less than perfect knowledge of protocol. I guess that's why Mikey gets to sit in court and I don't. Daddy.......I mean Father wants us to be a proper prince/princess in front of Persia.

"Rebeckah, sweetheart let's go." Father said.

I exit and enter the grand spectacle of a palace. Wow this place is huge. Makes our home in Susa seem like a cottage. I follow my family through the halls until we stop at 3 different doors.

"Goodnight, mother and father." Mikey said.

"Goodnight my son, pleasant dreams." They respond.

"Rebeckah, this is your room. I hope you like it." Mother said opening a rose gold door.

I stepped inside and my jaw hit the floor. Pink satin and silk bedspread adorned my bed shaped like a crown. White linen curtains hung on the windows. My changing area and vanity sat in the right corner of the room. The floors were a black marble with gold specks. This was honestly the best room ever.

"I love it, thank you so much." I exclaimed hugging them tightly.

"Okay it's time for bed now my little princess. Let's get you tucked in." Mother said.

"No it's okay. I'm capable of getting into bed by myself. Goodnight mother and father, I love you both." I said to their very shocked expressions.

"Goodnight sweetheart." They said leaving the room.

I fell back onto my many pillows. After a few minutes of laying there I drifted off to sleep.

Princess Mariam POV

I was laying next to mommy in her bed. She was asleep but I was wide awake. I missed Daddy. He was across the hall in his bedroom. I am trying to slip out of mommy's arms so I can go sleep next to him. I wiggled until I was free. Sliding down the bed, my feet hit the floor. I walked over to the door which was slightly cracked and pushed. The heavy door finally opened enough for me to slip through.

I ran across the hall and pushed his door open. Once it was open I slid in then pushed it back closed. I pressed my back against the door for a second and looked around. I found his bed in the far corner of the room and walked over. Climbing up the bedspread I lifted his arm and wrapped it around me. His grip tightened immediately.

"Goodnight sweetheart." He mumbled.

"Night Daddy." I said which caused his eyes to pop open.

"Mariam I thought you were your mother. How did you get in here?" He inquired. 

"I ran across the hall. I wanted to sleep with you. Can I stay, please?" I pleaded.

"Okay but just for tonight. Now let's get some sleep." He said kissing my forehead.

I snuggled into his chest and drifted off.

King Xerxes POV

I looked down at my family. They were so divided. I knew it wasn't on purpose. Hadassah had been praying just a few minutes ago. She misses our children and wants the holidays to be special. Hanukkah is a big deal in the Jewish community. When she told me about it I suggested making Ectabana our getaway. Then we would only have ourselves and the children.

I watched as Hegai and Hatach decorated the palace. The dining hall was lit with every candle imaginable. White and gold flowers aligned the table in crystal vases. Gold goblets and platters placed in accordance to each chair. Yes this was a holiday tradition. When Hadassah was queen all of this became apart of our palaces.

I know in Susa the palace is adorned with all silver. Benjamin even lit the Menorah on the mantle in the main hall. All the preparations were set but her fear was this year would be a different one. That love and laughter would be forgotten. Well I know how to fix this, I just hope I'm allowed to come back for a weeks.

Hey loves,

It looks like Xerxes will be making a brief return. I know that's weird considering Benjamin is king but I wanted to write a cheerful holiday season for the royal family. Anyways I hope you enjoy.

-QueenLiv