Xerxes: Son Of Darius

King Benjamin POV

Today would have been my father's 61st birthday. He was beloved by everyone here in the palace currently. I have decided to spend the day in celebration. Meaning no affairs of state will be conducted. I admired him growing up, I desperately want to follow in his footsteps.

"I just hope you're proud of me, father." I said aloud.

"Always my son but you need to follow behind me. I was not a perfect man or king." Xerxes spoke.

Just as quickly as he had spoken he was gone. I wonder what he meant by that. From what I observed as a child, he was a wonderful king. Mother adored him, she still does. My thoughts were interrupted by Hatach.

"Your highness, Hadassah has requested your presence in the garden. The rest of the royal family is already in attendance." He spoke completely out of breath.

"Send word to my mother that I shall arrive in 10 minutes." I replied.

"Yes your majesty." Hatach said bowing before exiting quickly.

Sure enough 10 minutes later I was in the garden with my family. Mother smiled as always while I approached.

"You sent for me, my lady? What is your urgent request? As my mother I will grant you all that you require even half the kingdom." I spoke embracing her.

"You sound like your father before you." She giggled.

"I never heard him say anything like that before." I said seriously.

"That's because you were not born yet, my son." She said taking her seat.

After a few hours of praying and reminiscing on the days spent with Xerxes, I retired to the library.

"See that no one else uses the library tonight. Sarah may enter if necessary." I said to Hegai and the Immortals.

I searched through the library for The Chronicles of King Xerxes. Once I found the rather large and heavy book, I began reading. I started long before he was even king.

Xerxes was crowned a prince of the face of Persia on his 6th birthday. King Darius appointed Hegai, whom was 7 years old his eunuch. The pair grew up together until he was 15 years old. At which time the young prince was sent off to Egypt along with Admantha and Teresh. For 3 years he was trained in the art of combat and battle techniques. Upon his 17th Birthday he met Vashti Benihansa. She was the daughter of rug merchant Mozatha. The pair spent countless evenings together before an engagement was announced. Xerxes and Vashti were married shortly thereafter. In the years leading up to invading Greece, his father King Darius also prepared him to reign over Persia. Upon the king's departure, Xerxes was named his reagent. Of course the now 20 year old prince was skeptical because his father had not returned in the month after he left. Three days later Memucan arrived to the palace with devastating news. King Darius was killed in battle in Greece. Xerxes mourned the loss of his father alone for two weeks. After the funeral and burial, he was coronated by Memucan. Vashti being his wife was named queen. For years rumors circulated in the palace of retaliation in Greece avenging the fallen King Darius. In the third year of Xerxes reign a season of feasting was declared to go about beginning the war. Queen Vashti however was opposed to the war entirely. She held many feasts in protest. One night she was summoned by her husband, the king and she refused. Xerxes anger led him to banish her from the entire Persian empire. After many months of lectures from the other princes, a selection of candidates were to be brought from across the empire to spend One Night With The King in hopes of being queen. A year later Esther of Susa married Xerxes and they began a New Empire. Six months later however Queen Esther broke protocol by appearing in court unsummoned. The king spared her life and once her request was made known, Haman, the Agagite was hung on the gallows in his yard. A month later Mordecai, Queen Esther's uncle was proclaimed a prince and master of audiences. A few months later an heir to the throne was born, Benjamin. Crowned as prince on his 3rd birthday. Six years later another heir was born, Raquel. Whom was also crowned on her 3rd birthday. Despite the seemingly happy appearance, the king and queen once went through marital turmoil before either of their children were born. Esther was not allowed to speak to her husband in private after that fateful night in the library. She had voiced her opinion of killing the Jews to which Xerxes exploded. He had told her that even though she was queen, he no longer wished to share his life with her. Xerxes at the time believed that his queen was being unfaithful. Esther believed Xerxes had been intimate with a concubine but still loved her husband immensly. They soon discovered how wrong they both were and reconciled. As the children grew so did their love. It was shown through playful banter and knowing looks. Many inside the palace observed their children and much they admired their parents love. Prince Benjamin especially would hide behind pillars to watch his father act playful with his mother. Soon enough Benjamin was married to Sarah of Susa. He treated her with love and respect just he had watched his father do. Often times King Xerxes would watch from a distance at his son's antics smirking to himself. He knew Benjamin had observed him as a child. In his final years the king spent time officiating Raquel's wedding to Isaac and final plans invade Greece yet again. He died in his chambers surrounded by family.

"Wow I never knew my parents fought with each other. Reading about that makes me realize how foolish I was arguing with Sarah recently." I said aloud.

"I told you I wasn't perfect. Yes your mother and I fought for months actually over your uncle Mordecai and Vashti. I didn't know he was her uncle then. I was coming to surprise my wife especially after knowing how hard it was for to accept me going to the training grounds. I saw them at the lover's gate and was humiliated. I needed answers as to why she was with him and where our necklace had gone." Xerxes said.

"You mean the one she is wearing now?" I asked.

"The very one. She offered it to me the night I proposed. So when she said she was afraid I told her to keep it for me and know that I would return to her and only her." He said.

"I am stunned by that revelation. Do you think I am far too harsh with my own wife?" I inquired.

"My son you and I are alike in many ways. You want my approval so desperately just like I wanted my father's. You have been harsh with her but she still loves you. I can tell you that even as we speak she is in the garden praying for you like she does every night. Reminds me of your mother, she did that. Asking for the strength to be a great wife and wisdom to help lead our empire." He said honestly.

"So what should I do to change that? I want the love you and mother have." I said.

"If you want to know the secret to our love you must know the mystery hidden our necklace. Ask your mother to hold it over a candle. When you see it you will know." He said quickly departing.

I ran down the hall to her chambers politely knocking before entering. She looked up as I approached greeting me with a warm smile.

"My son what is the matter?" She asked.

"May I see your necklace and the mystery within?" I inquired.

She immediately removed the necklace and walked towards a candle. Lowering it above the flame, I saw many stars of David dance throughout the room. My eyes widened and then I understood.

"A kingdom of love, that's what he meant. Build the empire through our love not who we conquer." I mumbled.

"Exactly my son because without the queen there is no kingdom. She holds Persia together just like you do. Never forget." Xerxes said smiling down on his son.

"I know you're here my love." Hadassah said.

I smiled at their exchange even in death their love never failed. I still have a lot to learn but as far being a better husband I will start tonight. Sarah and I will be a testament to our own children. The Persian empire will continue to be.........

A Kingdom Of Love