Chapter 2: Not My Funeral?

😿

http://25.media.tumblr.com/4f0282daba430306bda44d73173c3bf8/tumblr_n0lvphiEDT1rxmwhyo6_250.gif.

At least 8 people die every day, whether their life was stolen by a cruel person or it was an accident, they threw it away, or natural causes...they're still gone...At least 25% of that die alone, die with no-one who cares about them, no-one to miss them...

I was lucky, and no I'm not boasting. But when it was announced that some old douche was coming to kill me, I had countless people that I cared about thinking of solutions to help and save me. I got too caught up in wanting to protect them then wanting to live--and for that I blame Katherine. She warned me ahead of the announcement that I was wanted dead for a stupid curse, I had time to deal with dying. That's one of the main reasons I came back, if I'm going to die then I might as well spend my last few months, o-or years, surrounded by the people I love and care for and who love and care for me.

And even with the mini breakdown with Stefan before the ritual, I knew it was inevitable. I knew I was gonna die that day. And that sucks! I didn't choose this face, I didn't choose my ancestor's actions, yet thanks to both of those things I was sacrificed. I lost the most amazing Aunt ever. I'm gonna have to transition, I have a day before I die once I wake up thanks to Damon. Yeah...it sucks...

But what are these? All I'm saying now, what is it? A dying girl's thoughts? A dead girl's thoughts?...Or am I waking up?...

I gasped and shot up in shock, I'm breathing! I'm Awake! I'M ALIVE!!! "Kat!" why was he the first to greet me?!

"Hey!" Jeremy appeared beside me.

"What happened?" I tried to calm my shaky breaths.

"How do you feel?" Damon didn't answer me.

"I feel, fine..." I realized with a frown. Shouldn't I be on edge? Everything amplified? Have an intense need to tear someone's throat out? "Why do I feel fine?" I asked as Damon exhaled in relief.

"You're human, you're still human" Jeremy forced a smile.

"Kat..." I heard my twin's whisper from the door-way.

"Oh, Elena" I whispered back, pushed the boys aside and stood. Moving towards her we embraced, thankful both are still breathing. "You're okay, I'm okay. We're gonna be okay?" my eyes watered slightly as I thought of Jenna, and then I saw John. Face first to the floor outside, in my perfect line of vision just over Elena's shoulder. "What's wrong with John?" I released Elena and moved towards the door, Jeremy stopped me from leaving. "What are you doing, Jer?"

"I don't want you to go out and see him" he rushed out.

"Why?" I frowned.

"Kat, he's...John's dead" he struggled to answer.

"What?" my eyes widened and body froze, him too?

A FEW DAYS LATER

I straightened out my black dress, something I didn't think would see the light of day for a long while, especially with these circumstances. I checked over my funeral-chic appearance, the depressed look on my face--the plain and numb feeling deep inside, eating away at my thoughts...how familiar I am with all of this...I pulled a hand through my hair, brushing a few curls from my face when Jeremy walked in. "I'm almost ready" was my automatic reply, so used to people complaining thanks to my tardiness.

"Yeah, take your time" his reply was so soft that I nearly scoffed. Here I am, playing little miss victim when I have a brother and sister that just experienced the same loss as me. A history teacher that loved Jenna as much as us, a town that just lost two more important factors. I sound so whiny in my own head. "John wanted me to give you this" he held out some folded paper and my inner rant ceased. "And this" he held out Alaric's ring, or at least the one I'm used to him having.