Chapter 15: I Knew You Cared...

😼

http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6997cWULM1qd54da.gif.

I hummed slightly as I held out the decorations for Caroline's locker, Elena taking the odd one to put in a specific place, smiling at the tune I hummed before eventually joining in. "Hey, sorry I'm late. I, uh...I got held up" Bonnie rushed towards us.

"It's ok, Elena was late too" I smiled while Elena rolled her eyes at me.

"Will you pass me the balloons?" Elena asked Bonnie as I stuffed the remaining streamers into my bag. "Thanks" was the reply as she was handed them. "What got you running late?" Elena questioned as she taped the balloons to the top of Care's locker.

"I, uh, was working on some new spells" that's a lie Bonnie, I can tell by your wide-eyed expression. "You?"

"Working out with Alaric" Elena answered as Bonnie handed her the 'Happy Birthday Caroline' sign.

"Bonnie, can I see you really quickly while Elena finishes up?" I gave a hopeful expression and she nodded with hesitation, 'Lena sending me a worried look as I walked her over to a deserted part of the hallway.

"What happened?" Bonnie frowned.

"First, I know you lied about the new spells. Were you with Stefan?" she reluctantly nodded. "Okay, how's everything going?"

"I shouldn't really--uh--" I nodded in understanding to her stuttering.

"I get it, don't tell me because of the Klaus threat" I sighed. "Speaking of the Klaus threat. You know how Klaus tried to kill Jeremy, right?" she nodded. "Well, Elena and I decided it would be best if he left town for a while. He'll be staying with some old family friends in Denver until this whole Klaus thing blows over."

"Jeremy wouldn't just leave you to deal with Klaus on your own" Bonnie pointed out.

"I know. We asked--well, I asked Damon to compel him" I breathed out, weary of her reaction.

"You what?" her face held shock.

"It had to be done, Bonnie. If he ever finds out then I'm fine with him hating me for the rest of his life, the key detail being he'll live that life. It's not safe for him thanks to Stefan, he had to go. And I don't want to lose you as a friend over this, I understand the anger, but if you decide to never speak to me again, then all I'll use as my excuse is it's saving Jeremy's life..." I trailed off. "It's possible he'll be leaving tomorrow, definitely sometime soon and I know you two still haven't worked your stuff out. I thought you'd like to say good-bye" I shrugged and moved back towards Elena, leaving Bonnie to think.

"How did she take it?" Elena muttered to me as Bonnie walked past us and up the hallway.

"I guess we'll have to wait and see" I leaned my back against the lockers and crossed my arms over my chest, it seems today is already off to a great start(!)

-TIME SKIP-

"SURPRISE!" Me, Bonnie, Matty and Elena all synced our word once we heard the door close, thankful to see Care and not Liz, that would be weird. She jumped a little in shock as I felt my grin almost split my face.

"Happy birthday!" Matt grinned as I adjusted my party hat.

"What are you guys doing here?" Care breathed out.

"Well, you blew off school and missed our, uh--work of birthday art, so, uh..." Elena trailed off by removing her tiara and placing it on Care's head.

"Change into warmer clothes, we're going to the falls. S'mores, campfire" Bonnie explained.

"Cake. Like when we were little. And I promise Cake isn't the only reason I'm going" I grinned out before she asked.