Chapter III

Incessant knocking on the door stirs Harry awake. He stumbles out of bed, shaking his shoulders and rubbing his eyes to appear more awake. He stands tall as he opens the door, one of his man standing in front of him.

"Sir, you requested a morning call. We have to meet Grimshaw in an hour." The man also hands over a large briefcase. "The clothes you requested, Sir." Harry nods as he takes his suitcase, closing the door shut afterward. He places it on the bed, clicking it open and digging through it for some decent attire. He grabs an immoderate black suit coat, situating it over his pearl gray silk shirt. Next are the trousers, followed by his Homburg that had been on the dresser, and finally the Oxfords. He finishes the look by tucking a red handkerchief into his coat pocket. Now dressed, he turns around, realizing belatedly that he had a guest last night. He struts his way over to the lad to jab at the boy's side until he's turning over, his bare chest revealed from under the cover.

" 'at time is it?" He yawns, head sinking back into the plush pillows. Harry has none of it, going to grab the cover off of him. When Louis feels hands at his waist over the linen, he shoots up in bed, immediately throwing his arms over himself as a barrier. "No!" Harry removes his hands. Louis shyly pulls the covers higher, completely covering his torso. "I had no other clothes and I didn't want to put the same shirt and trousers back on." Harry stares a beat too long at Louis, momentarily lost in the idea that the man rests naked underneath the cover. It excites him more than it should.

Harry moves away from the bed, opening up his suitcase again to search for some clothes for Louis. Considering his clothes are tailored to the very last detail, Louis will probably look like a son dressing up in his father's clothes. Harry chuckles at the thought, grabbing a cream dress shirt and tan slacks for the boy. He tosses it over, Louis catching the material with surprise. The fabric slides between his fingers like water, the material obviously top quality. Louis shakes his head at the clothes when he sees this because he definitely does not want to ruin such expensive clothing.

"I couldn't possibly, they're your clothes."

"I've got plenty more. I can spare a few things here and there." Louis gulps. He takes the clothes with him into the bathroom, ever so carefully fitting himself into the clothes. The clothes are far too big for his frame, sleeves hanging off his hands and pants dropping every five seconds. He steps back out where Harry has preoccupied himself with his pocket watch. Louis coughs to grab his attention. Harry glances up, eyes stuck on the sight before him. Louis looks indignantly like a child, much like Harry had presumed. He does one last search in his suitcase to find a pair of braces so it can at least control one aspect of the outfit. Along with it, he grabs sleeve garters to fix the whole sleeve situation.

With some tampering here and there, Louis is somewhat more presentable. He pulls on his own Oxfords since Harry's would most definitely not fit him. Harry scans over the room- a final check to make sure nothing is left behind. Once everything is well in order, Harry opens the door as the proper gentlemen he is and has Louis exit first. Behind him, Harry stops for a second, whistling a tune and then continuing down the hall next to Louis. It's half a minute later that the men who had accompanied them on the train are now behind both men, following Harry like guards. Louis tries not to think much of what these men are capable of.

"Where are we going?" He asks instead, hoping to move his mind onto other things.

"I've got a meeting I have to go to, you'll come along and after, I'll help you on your job hunt. " With Louis' affirmation, Harry and his entourage travel down the hall and out the door, dropping their keys off at the lobby. The bustling city is running on overdrive from the night before, many people only just checking in for the night. Women and men alike are roaming the streets with clumsy steps and tipsy dispositions. It's a lot different than Louis expected.

He was imagining a world like no other, a fantasy of sorts where everyone looked like they were straight out of a magazine or a moving picture and though they had the right appearance, the demeanor he imagined with it was off. Women weren't all class as they swayed down the streets arm in arm, dresses far more revealing than the ones on screen. Men were similar to how the media depicted them, the only difference being the way they carried themselves. Some men had the swagger Harry did- walking almost like they owned the neighborhood. Others walked with a purpose, hurried and introverted, shoulders hunched in passing. It was all like a picture come to life before Louis' eyes.

Louis was prepared to walk the distance from the hotel to wherever it was they were going, but Harry hadn't moved an inch since they stepped outside. Louis cast him a curious gaze, one that went unnoticed by Harry who was staring at his watch. The second hand ticked away until it reached the minute and then there was suddenly a car before them.

"Heard you needed a ride." The man inside smiles wickedly. He throws open the passenger door. Harry firmly places his hand at the bottom of Louis' spine, gently pushing him until he gets the hint that he should climb in, Harry following after him. Only half of the men fit in the back seat, the others at a standstill in front of the building.

"I'll be back in the evening, boys." Harry calls as the engine revs up. "Be on the lookout for me." The car swerves into the traffic, Louis holding on for dear life at the speed the man is going. Harry wraps an arm around his shoulder to steady him and Louis lets himself be coddled as the man turns right and left until they reach a building. A large iron gate separates the building from the main street. The car pulls along the curb, a few other cars already there to let off passengers. It's a few minutes before they make it to the front, a man coming up to open the door for Harry. He exits first, extending and arm to Louis to help him out of the vehicle. Harry hands the man who drove them their some cash. The man tips his hat before driving out of sight.

"Come along." He instructs, heading to the stairs which lead down into the building. Louis scurries to follow.

"Where are we?" He asks, taking notice of the other folk who happen to be around. Young girls and men are entering the building- all dressed in clothing very much similar to Harry. The door stays open long enough for Louis to peek inside, catching the first glimpse of a bar.

"We- my friend- are at the 21 Club."