Chapter XIX

Submerged in water, Louis sinks deeper, lungs constricting as his vision goes dark. Distant pressure in his arms becomes patent, tightening in loops. He feels a rush, defying gravity as he goes back up, the pressure in his arms increasing as he's brought above the surface. Air fills his lungs as he realizes he's being pulled aboard a ship, ropes clinging to his arms. His vision still hasn't returned. The gentle rocking is what alerts him of his new surroundings. Drifting along the boat goes, almost never ending. Even though Louis is still tied by the ropes, he feels weightless, floaty as he sails along. Waves are crashing against the bow, loud enough to drown out everything else... until...

"Louis?" Melodic in every way, a call of his name. He knows the voice by now, could distinguish it without the face. Yet, as his vision clears, he stares into those deep green eyes as confirmation. Harry raises his hands, cradling Louis' face. Rough twine comes into contact with his face, Louis glancing to Harry's hands. Rope covers them. Just like the rope on his own hands. It ties them together, uniting them, their hearts.

Harry doesn't have to say anything else, his heartbeat matches Louis', coming together as one. Those vibrant green eyes say the words not spoken out loud. His words could fill pages and pages, written with no end. Admittance of love, of feelings bordering trust and adoration. Louis' heart picks up with every second of silence. Harry's bottled up emotions spilling out like the water around him. The weightlessness ends, the realization that Harry is as devoted to him as he is to Harry anchors him, reminds him that he has a place, he has a home.

The waves calm as Harry holds him, their tangled limbs pressed tightly between them. Louis pushes his face into his warm chest, listening to the soundtrack of love that beats against Harry's ribcage. His own heart sings its own song, harmonizing with the beat of its lover.

In this moment, Louis feels joy. A joy so pure because the one he loves, loves him back. He grins as he's pulled closer, Harry's hold never loosening. Louis doesn't need Harry to tell him it's a promise of forever.

Hours later, Louis wakes to the same feeling. Strong arms are still wrapped around him, holding him close. Louis can hear the steady thump with his ear so close, his cheeks warming as he remembers his dream. Harry is still asleep, his grip not even loosening in his state. Another blossom of warmth spreads through his chest, Louis wondering what it all means.

To say he's confused would be an understatement. Louis is beyond baffled by the man engulfing him. Part of Louis tells him not to get his hopes up. Another part- as small as it is- tells him he wasn't wrong in thinking Harry cared- cares. The man is holding him like he never wants to let go, like he'll never get the chance to do it again. Louis should feel suffocated, blankets and Harry providing much more heat than necessary. Yet, he feels swathed in affection. He loves it.

Harry stirs, arms bringing the boy even closer. Louis holds his breath, scared, more nervous than anything. Harry blinks his eyes open, immediately aware that he isn't alone. He sees a head of feathery brown hair, arms having trapped the boy right next to him, and inhales sharply. Louis closes his eyes, pretending to be asleep. He figures it'll be easier that way, maybe Harry won't immediately give him the boot. He lets Harry maneuver him a bit as he shuffles away slightly. With his eyes closed, Louis can only hear the sound of Harry's uneven breathing, feels it against his nose as Harry leans closer.

"What am I doing?" Harry whispers aloud, his forehead resting against Louis'. His breath fans over Louis' lips, the temptation there. He could so easily bend down, join their lips again. He wants to, badly. His free hand has its own mind as it drifts up to Louis' face, pushing away some of the plastered hair from his forehead. It goes lower, settling in its favorite place, Louis' cheek. Louis almost gasps, giving away the fact that he isn't dozing. But, he doesn't, staying stock still as he feels Harry's breath coming even closer. "I shouldn't want to kiss you, but I do." Louis wants him to.

"Do it, please." Louis begs, finally revealing he isn't asleep. "Kiss me." Harry's too shocked to react, so Louis does it for him, pressing their lips together. A short beat later, Harry's morals are lost as he kisses back with all he's got, all he's bottled up. He tosses a leg over them, dominating the boy, while prying Louis' lips open, tasting Louis for all he's worth. It's so lovely, having Louis underneath him, his small hand on his chest. He ghosts his own fingers along Louis' bottom, desperately wishing to touch, explore under the thin layer of fabric. But he can't- not yet- choosing instead to keep it simple as he settles his hand on his hip.

Louis's fingers trail over the bare skin of Harry's abdomen. Since Harry has done nothing to stop him, his hand travels the expanse of his torso, going back up some minutes later to dig into Harry's hair. He lets his fingers mindlessly rub his scalp, whimpering when Harry nibbles on his bottom lip in retaliation. Bravely, he arches up, basking in the burst of pleasure it gives his cock. Harry lets him, if only for a few moments, letting Louis do as he pleases.

When the need for air becomes too much, Harry withdraws from the kiss, panting into Louis' neck. He nips at the skin there, soothing it with his tongue as a mark starts to form. Louis whines, hands on his back as he continues to suck at his skin. Louis curves up into him, craving more attention, more pressure on his cock. Harry notices, hand pinning Louis' body down, slowing his movements. He pushes his body up, supporting himself with his arms and knees. He moves to the edge of the bed, sitting with his head between his hands.

"Why do you do this to me?" Harry mumbles, slumping further into his hands.

"What?" Louis questions, sat behind Harry as he struggles through his words.

"Make me think about you so much, about what you're doing, how you're sleeping, even about your life before me. You're inside my head, all the time." Harry exhales unsteadily, voice wavering, "I worry about you. Leaving you with Greg that afternoon was not an experience I want to repeat. Seeing Zayn all over you made me see red, I didn't like it. I've never been this attached to someone before. It's like I need you next to me to breathe easy." Louis really doesn't have an answer for that. He smiles shyly to himself at the idea that Harry might actually love him. "You make me feel things I've never felt before and I'm... scared, scared by what this means. I'm afraid of what could happen with you by my side. You joining my life is more than just you and me. My life is more complicated than you realize. I- just - don't want to lose you." Louis inches closer, wrapping his arms tentatively around Harry's shoulder.

"I won't leave you." Louis whispers, Harry bringing Louis over and onto his lap. Louis looks up at Harry through his eyelashes, thumbs pressing into Harry's chin gently. Harry smiles, something Louis doesn't think he's ever truly witnessed before. He smiles back, wondering what this means for them.