Chapter X

Try as he might, finding the door is harder than Louis thought it would be. He's gone in a circle at least ten times, found his way to Harry's room six, and managed to sidestep into the kitchen twice. Every wall manages to appear the same as Louis rushes by, wishing he had paid more attention when Harry had given him the grand tour. Another hall way comes into view and Louis goes straight for it. It's a long pathway that reveals an archway in which Louis can finally claim his escape.

The door is only two feet away, so close to being in his reach. And just as he goes to open it, the door is slammed open. A young man comes in, a group of men behind him. His movement seizes when he catches sight of Louis, raising a brow at the unfamiliar face.

"And who might you be?" He questions, his men surrounding Louis. Louis hunches in as the large men gather round. He starts to hyperventilate, worried for his life. Rather than wishing he was gone, he's wishing Harry was by his side again.

"Payne?" Harry's voice has Louis sighing in relief. The men once around him have backed off, flocking back to the man's side. The man quirks an eyebrow at Louis, a silent question as to who the man is. With a protective stance in front of Louis, Harry introduces him. "This is Louis, a friend of mine." Payne circles around the pair, his men keeping their distance as Payne examines Louis.

"A friend, eh? Just what kind of friend are we talking about?" The blunt question prompts Louis with the memory of when he met Malik. Harry smirks at Payne, visibly asserting himself in front of the man.

"That is my business alone." Mystery hangs in his answer as Payne retreats back to his men. "To what do I owe the pleasure?" Payne shrugs, sticking his hands into his front pockets.

"Friendly visit. I was in town and decided to stop by. How's the business." That alone leaves Louis out of the conversation, both men falling into a steady stream of chit chatter as they reminisce. Louis judges the man based on appearance. His scruff would associate him with rag-a-muffins, yet his poise is one of a jetsetter. His vibe meshes with Harry which leaves Louis to assume they're in the same business. Just dandy.

Louis continues to stare between the two as they talk, not sure what to do. He's sure no one would notice if he decided to make his leave now, but a part of him reminds him that Harry has eyes like a hawk and would most likely catch him in the act. Payne seems to have completely shut him out as in the next second it's like he's seeing Louis in another light. "Sorry, chap, I almost forgot you were there. Harry, would it be alright if we spoke in private, there's something I'd like to discuss with you."

Harry turns to Louis with a sweet smile, gently pushing him back the way he came. "Darling, we'll only be a minute. Mind waiting in the study." Louis grumbles, not wanting to adhere to the order. Harry's persistent gaze has him slowly edging back through the hall in search of the study. So much for making a dramatic exit.

Once Louis is out of sight, Payne resumes their talk. "As I was saying, there's talk that one of our clubs might get raided tonight. I think we should stop by, make sure things are in order. We don't need the bull on our tails." Harry nods, snapping his fingers as a signal for his men to come in.

"We'll be going out tonight, at seven. Be ready." All men bob their heads in unison before disappearing the way they came.

"That it or?"

"Well it was, but I'm curious as to who that boy was earlier. You never invite anyone over." In all the years he's lived there, Harry has not once had anyone over. The occasional friend, such as Payno, comes to visit, but even then, it's on their own accord. Harry has never extended an invitation to them beforehand. Louis was the first. Technically, it was Louis suggesting to be brought along. Though, it was never said what would happen once they were back in Chicago. Harry simply let be, let Louis stay with him, as he had nowhere else to go. That was unusual.

Harry has been doing a lot of unlikely things since meeting the young boy, such as caring for him. Harry has never been a person to care for others well-being so insistently. He does care for his staff and his men, yet his care for Louis is different. It's one of a man with his lover. He shakes his head at the thought.

"He's a tag along. I picked him up on my way to New York. Hasn't left my side." He fails to mention how it was originally his idea Louis stay close.

"Why don't you just kick him out then?"

"Mind your own beeswax." It's warning enough to have Liam drop the topic immediately.

"That's it for my visit then. I'll see you tonight." Liam bows in goodbye, his men flocking behind him as they head for the door. He stops just before exiting, head turned back to sneer at Harry. "Bring him along of you want. He might be a ball." Then, he's out the door.