Chapter XI

Another half mile search finally sets Louis in the right place, the study. He sits himself in the only chair in the room, looking immensely small in the seat. He taps his fingers on the desk, annoyance in his movements. He was seconds away from leaving Harry behind, leaving Chicago all over again. It was right in his grasp, and yet, Payne had to come in at that exact moment to ruin his chances. He would have been back on that train, riding away to the freedom he once yearned for. Staying with Harry has restricted his plans. Still, as he wonders about Harry's motives, he can't help but think about his own.

What is he gaining by staying here with Harry? A friend? Friends are scarce in his life. The only people he could really got on with were co-workers. His work schedule never gave him the time to spend anywhere else. With no social life, there's was never time to get to know people. He was a natural loner. Making friends was always the last thing on his mind, well until now.

Harry eventually makes his way into the study, finding a deep in thought Louis. He strides up to him, glancing down at the small boy in his chair. He tugs him up by the collar, Louis staggering since he hadn't realized anyone else was in the room. Harry switches their places, sitting down in the study chair and having Louis sit on the desk. Even with the added advantage of the desk being higher up, Louis is the same height as Harry sitting down. Harry pulls Louis's knees close, keeping his hands on his thighs as they lock eyes.

"Wanted to escape earlier, how'd that go?" Louis scowls as he keeps their fiery gaze, not wanting to break eye contact first. He caves when Harry raises an eyebrow, gaze flickering to the bookshelves behind him.

"You saw the outcome." He huffs still not meeting Harry's eye. Harry snickers, hands gently rubbing Louis' thighs through the fabric. He's doing it unconsciously, not even aware of the movement in his hands. Louis, on the other hand, is very aware, gaze flickering down to where Harry is touching him.

"Might as well stay a few more days, not point in having you leave." Louis peeks up at the man, wondering where this sudden suggestion came from.

"Thought I wasn't cut out for the gangster life."

"You ain't." Harry stands from the chair, stepping over to the bookshelf. "But having you around ain't gonna do no harm. Stick around as my pal. I'm sure we'll get along just fine. We already have." Louis misses the odd break in Harry's voice; stuck on the fact that Harry actually wants him around. Louis considers it, really considers it. Not much can be done at this point. Leaving would require him having a place to go to. Where would he go? Back home- definitely not. Hitching a ride back to New York would be another hassle, especially seeing how it went the first time. He might not get so lucky this time around.

Harry waits for the boy's response, an anxiety creeping under his skin. Harry hardly gets anxious. It doesn't suit him. Waiting for Louis to answer him has him on the tips of his toes in hopes that he'll say he'll stay. Odd as it might be, Harry would love to keep the boy under his wing. "Maybe." Harry perks up at the response, face staying passive as he goes to reply.

"Why the maybe?" Louis shrugs, dropping his feet to the floor. He leans onto the desk instead, hands splaying out beside him.

"Because I'm not sure if this is what I want."

"How's this, you come out with me tonight and if you feel it ain't the right life for you... I'll let you leave." Some time to think over it might be exactly what he needs.

"Alright."

Harry orders a maid in as soon as Louis' agreed, telling her to fetch a tailor. Harry exits the study with Louis behind him. Harry had another butler fetch a suit and he places it in Louis' arms. "This is for tonight. The tailor will be here in half an hour for your fitting and he'll have the suit ready for you before we leave tonight." He dismisses Louis with a wave, directing Louis back to his room.

With the door closed behind him, Louis is left in the silence of the large room once again. He inspects the suit, the fine material slipping through his fingers. If he remembers correctly, the last time he tried on some for Harry's clothes, they were much too big. He supposes it's a good thing then that Harry brings in a tailor.

He drops the suit on the bed, sitting next to it as he thinks about tonight. Another excuse to stay. He's been making a lot of those lately. Every time he even thinks about leaving, Harry has to go and draw him back in. It's like some type of tether, one where Harry makes all the calls, pulling him and pushing him to his desire. Twenty minutes ago, it was as if he could care less if Louis had left. Seeing as it was Harry who suggested he stay, maybe Harry does care more than he lets on. Louis should be able to tell by now. Appearances are his façade. Louis can never truly tell what's on Harry's mind.

In Louis' own mind, he can't help but wonder what this stir of emotions is deep inside. Harry has this effect on him, this weird way of reeling Louis in. Maybe it's his lifeless eyes or his self-assured charm. Harry makes Louis want to vomit, in a good way, which Louis didn't know was possible. His body has these unconscious reactions to Harry's touch- almost like a cigarette touching skin. Burning but in the best way possible. Louis enjoys his touch, the way it makes him feel as if he's someone else. As if he's finally living his life as it should be.

Hours later, the car is speeding down the road again, on its way to the pub. Louis is coddled in next to Harry- who's at the wheel- because of the force of their turns. Louis left arm has lost all feeling and yet, he's smiling. Smiling because it's rather exhilarating cruising down the highway at way over the speed limit. When the car comes to a sudden stop, Louis' body is thrown forward. Luckily, Harry's arm stopped him from being hurt in any way, providing a wall of defense between Louis and the car. Harry eases his arm away, the lingering burn from the touch causing Louis to go red. As it is dark, he hopes Harry can't see the effect he's having on him.

"After you," Harry holds the door open for Louis who shakily climbs out of the passenger seat. The pub in view is larger than the one they went to in New York. Lights seem to reflect off of it as though there is a spotlight on the area. People line up around the corner, chatting freely into the night air. "In we go." Harry clasps Louis' hand, leading him into the bar, past the dozens of partygoers who boo at their allowance of entrance.