Chapter V

The glamour of the city ends as they walk the winding streets. At a certain point, the high buildings turn into desolate homes of dulled colors, fading into the subtlety of gray that surrounds the area they had walked into. Everything and anything around is bleak and obsolete, the houses an incarnation of dust and smoke. The town is a mirror of Louis' old home, not something Louis was expecting in a place like this. Even the people in the area have a way to them that resembles the gray, a sort of bland state that has no correlation to the bar they had previously been in.

"What is this place?" Louis decides to ask, no sign able to give him the answer.

"Most refer to it as the valley, more specifically, the valley of ashes." The name fits. The rising smog of the town is like that of ashes. Louis wants to swipe his hand across the building to see if it leaves dust on his fingertips.

More walking leads them further into the heart of the town, lonely shops and people mucking through the streets in work attire, their clothes stained with the ashes of their valley. Harry stops at a garage, red brickwork of the building no longer bright or eye-catching. No door means no barrier, giving easy access for anyone in passing. Louis fears for the well-being of this establishment.

"Greg?" Harry calls into the building, his voice echoing off the barren walls. Dismal white walls- which really yellowed over the years- as well as rickety chairs- was all that made up the lobby of the garage. Stairs lead up to what Louis assumes is the man's home and the man emerges not a moment later, wiping off his hands on a beige cloth.

"Styles! Great to see you. Have a jalopy in need of fixing?" Harry shakes his head as he seats himself in a rickety chair.

"Not today, Greg. I have a favor to ask of you." He tips his hat in the direction where Louis stands, Greg smiles at Louis as he offers a greeting. "My dear friend is in need of a job. You looking to hire." Harry doesn't say it like he's asking. He's demanding. Greg casts his eyes back to Louis, surveying his strength.

"Got any experience?" Louis frowns, shaking his head at the man.

"No, but I'm ready for any challenge. I'm a quick learner, Sir." The man holds his chin with his forefinger and thumb, thinking it over.

"Suppose we could try you out." Louis beams, coming closer to the man to shake his hand.

"Thank you. You won't regret this." Greg chuckles, eyes glancing over to Harry.

"Real chipper, ain't he?" Harry smirks, standing from his seat to provide his own handshake.

"Mhmm." Harry checks his watch. "It's a quarter to noon. How about he starts now and I pick him up in a few hours?" Louis is puzzled. Harry made no indication that he ever thought of taking Louis back with him once he got a job. Come to think it, he never actually considered what would happen when he did get a job. He never planned on meeting Harry, much less traveling with him. Harry saying he'll come back to pick him up is odd, but not unwelcomed by Louis.

"Fine with me. Typical day ends at eight so you can come by then." Harry smile again, hooking his hand with Louis' wrist and maneuvering him out of the garage.

"We'll say our goodbyes and I'll be on my way." He says to Greg. Once outside the building, Harry let's go of Louis who is more confused by the minute. "Snagged yourself a job on the first try, ain't that just dandy?" Louis nods, noticing movement in the distance. It's a car. A car much like the one they arrived in at the club. It nears the pair, stopping just short of Harry. He opens the door and cast one last look at Louis over his shoulder. "Eight on the dot." And then the car drives away.

Louis has to take a minute to stare after the vehicle, wondering what the hell he got himself into when he agreed to accompany this man to New York. Harry is definitely what he claims to be, a man with friends everywhere he goes. An aura of nonchalance follows the man as he goes and Louis finds that he likes it, wants to have it. He's never had the confidence Harry has and if he wants to learn the rules of the trade, it might be best he gain some of that confidence.

"First client is coming in!" Greg shouts. A blue car parks in the garage, a solemn man stepping out. His expression changes when he sees Louis, smirk taking over the grim pout.

"My, my, what do we have here?" He asks, feet carrying him closer and closer to Louis. Louis plays his cat and mouse game, jumping back every time the man seems too close.

"Newcomer. Styles brought him in." At the mention of Harry, the man goes rigid, stopping mid-stride.

"One of Styles' men, how unusual." He resumes his steps, evading Louis personal space by lifting Louis' hand to his lips, much like Harry had once done. "You're far too pretty to be one of those lugnuts."

Louis doesn't understand what the man means in terms of being one of Harry's men, at first. It then dawns on him that he might be referring to the large men that accompany Harry everywhere he goes.

"I'm not like them." He confesses, sliding away from where the man had him cornered. He approaches the car, inspecting the fine detailing as it's all he can do without Greg's guidance. Speaking of Greg, he doesn't seem to be in sight. Louis hopes Greg returns promptly.

"Oh? What are you to Styles then?" His tone gives something off like he'd rather not know, yet his curiosity is getting the best of him. Louis shrugs because it's not as if he knows himself. He's pretty much just done as Harry said up until this point with the promise of harm not coming his way when he was found. Louis can feel the man's burning gaze at the back of his head and worries that this man might get angry and leave, cutting Greg short of a customer.

He can breathe easy when the man sits himself in the same manner Harry did, all poise with his back as straight as it can go in such a flimsy chair.

"Tools are ready. What'ya need fixed Malik?" A name to go with the man. It's unique much like the man himself. Louis doesn't think he's ever seen someone with such tan skin. It's a sharp contrast to the town they are in. Malik as a whole is a contrast. His suit is a royal blue with gold pinstripes. His hair is slicked back to help define his well-shaped face. Personality wise, he resembles Harry. It's like he's dripping wealth. It's obvious he's in the same business as Harry and Louis doesn't quite know where that leaves him.

"Regular tune-up is all I need. Gotta make sure my car is in tip top shape." His eyes finally leave Louis for Greg. "Is this young man here Harry's moll?"

"I don't think so." Greg says, more focused on the car than the conversation. Zayn turns back, crooked grin directed at Louis.

"Free man, then. I'll keep that in mind."