Chapter VI

Meanwhile, Harry returns to the hotel from the night before to retrieve his men. He leaves the establishment as soon as they're packed in, headed for a different part of the city from where he dropped Louis off. He's got some more business to attend to.

Leaving Louis was hard, especially since he's grown rather fond of the young boy. He hates to admit that Louis somehow has his heart beating a mile a minute whenever he's around. It may not be prominent since he's learned how to school his face in a neutral expression. Behind closed doors, Louis has him going stir crazy. Even as young as he is, he's much too attractive to be real. Harry sometimes thinks he's imaging Louis' beauty, but then he catches a second glance and he knows that he really is that gorgeous. With those huge blue eyes and pretty pink lips, the curve if his body so feminine-

He coughs into a fist, cheeks flaming at the sudden change in thought. His hat overshadows his face, none of his men catching his slip up. He leans back in the car. He will keep his bravado up for the matters they are attending to.

Streets blurs as the car goes on, the sun setting on the horizon. Harry is glad for sunset since the cover of night will be his best friend after their matter is dealt with. The man driving slows as their destination approaches, women crossing the street hazardously. Men clamber after them with cheery voices as they prepare for the long night ahead. Harry searches the crowd, intent on finding the man he's looking for somewhere close by.

"He's over there, Sir." One of his men grunts, thick thumb gesturing up ahead. Harry can see the man clearly now. The man is keeping an eye over his shoulder, probably aware that Styles and his men are on the lookout. The driver parks, Harry stepping out into the street. Some of the stragglers watch him as he moves, knowing full well something big is about to go down. A few of the provocatively dressed women try to hang off his arm, but he dismisses them in an instant. He's a man on a mission.

Slowing his pace when he nears the man, Harry sneers when he can so easily tell the man is anxious. He should be what with the fact that he never paid Harry the money he owed him. Harry dreads no show money. The man has every right to be scared because in seconds, he might be bumped off. Unless, that is, he can pay what he owes.

"McConnell." His prey firmly freezes, some younger folk skirting around him to avoid their brawl. "We have some beef to sort through." The man swirls around, eyes frantic as he begs for his life.

"I tried, Sir. I really did. I was laid off. I took a couple jobs here and there, but it wasn't adding up. Spare me, I promise I'll have the money in a week." Harry's men are already on him, grip tightening as the man continues his pleas. "Sir, I swear, just a few more days."

"See, I would have agreed if it weren't for the fact that you've been using that excuse for a month now." The man settles into defeat, knowing full well there isn't much he can do anymore. Harry tilts his head to the side as an indication for his men to walk. They all fall into step as they round a more secluded corner. A few of the men stake out the scene, making sure there aren't any witnesses. When the coast has been cleared, his men nod. Harry shrugs at the poor fellow who did him wrong. "Time's up."

The bullet does its damage quickly having shot the man in the head. One last search to confirm the coast was clear and the entire party involved is casually strolling back to their getaway car. Harry settles in the front seat, his men behind him as always. No longer day, Harry checks his watch. They had driven a long way from New York, skirting on the edge of Maine. He had about two hours before the clock strikes eight.

"To the valley, we have a pick up to attend to." The car speeds away, leaving the man for dead in the grungy alleyway.

"Attaboy, for your first job, you did great." Greg congratulates, slapping a hand on Louis' back in appraisal. Louis smiles, wiping the grease off of his forehead with the rag Greg hands to him.

He didn't think he could do it. With zero mechanic skills, he figured he'd fail his first task. But as luck would have it, Greg was a great teacher, showing him the ropes along the way. He felt like he could possibly work on a car on his own, maybe Greg standing around to supervise.

"She done, boys?" Malik asks, coming over to the car. His arm loops its way around Louis' shoulder, Louis easing out of his advance. Malik may be handsome, but he is hardly the type Louis would ever want to associate himself with. He says that, yet he very much likes the time he's spending with Harry. Harry. The clock on the wall reads five 'til eight and Louis grins when he thinks about what'll happen when the clock strikes eight.

"You seem happy, any reason?" Louis neglects Malik, telling him there is no reason. He doesn't seem convinced, eyes reading Louis face for answers. Louis shies away, stomping over to the lobby area to remove his overalls. Greg had been kind enough to lend him some protective wear so as not to get Harry's clothes dirty. "My, what a view." Louis straightens out, shuffling away from Malik's gaze.

Malik had been flirting with him nonstop since he arrived; constantly on about the way Louis looks while he's doing something. Louis felt tiny under his perturbing gaze, wishing his car could be finished as soon as possible. However, every time they were even close to closing shop with the car, he would demand to have something else looked at. It's like he never wanted to leave.

"Sure there ain't something you're looking forward to?" He's closer, hand lightly resting on the dip of Louis' back. He doesn't know when Malik got so close, but he doesn't like it.

"Very sure." He says uncomfortably, pushing at Malik's chest to free himself. He only holds tighter, Louis caged in his arms, chest to chest.

"Such a pretty face." Before Malik even has the chance to place his hand on Louis' face as he intended, another hand is cutting in, gripping tightly onto Malik and straying him away from Louis. "Horsefeathers." Malik turns to give whoever separated him from such a babe a piece of his mind, but stops short when he sees the face of his obstructer.

"Styles."