Chapter XXIII

Harry has one of his men drop Louis off, the man sticking around for added security. The lot is big, bigger than Louis imagined. Different buildings are spaced around, Niall having told him they would be filming in Building 5. He enters, already encompassed by the magic of it all.

Surreal would be the best way to put it, the actors and actresses dressed in dreamlike costumes. Louis would think he was dreaming if it weren't for the pat on the back he definitely feels from Niall.

"Glad to see you, kid." He throws his arms out, smiling at the scene before him. "Like a dream ain't it." He took the words right out of Louis' mouth. "This is only the beginning. It's when the film has to be edited that the magic really happens." He introduces Louis to a few other actors, actors Louis has seen in other movies before. It's thrilling, getting to meet people he's only ever seen on a screen. To know that they're real, living human beings is like another side to it. These people are talking, laughing, and even eating like every other person in the world. Nothing could set them apart, well other than the rather extravagant costumes.

Niall stands on a box, taller than anyone else in the room. "Fifteen minutes is up! Let's get rolling." The actors go to their markers, Louis told to stand on the sidelines. He stands next to the camera man, fascinated by the machine on its stand. Hinges were attached to the lense, a support system Louis hadn't seen before. It must be one of those folding cameras. Metal structure made it more modern in Louis's eyes. It was almost like it belonged in the future. Louis wanted to run his finger along the casing, to try and understand the operating system underneath the machine, but he figured it wouldn't be appropriate, especially with it being so close to call time.

Action is called, Louis' eyes flickering back to the set. Niall instructs the actors through it, shouting cut and having the actors freeze in place to bring something in or take something out. It's a little different than when Louis watches the movie on the screen, not used to the unedited version, but he finds that he still likes it all the same. He likes how passionate everyone is, laughing when the time calls for it or crying on cue. It's a spectacle, a work of art in the making. Louis tries to stay as silent as possible when they film, scared to ruin all their hard work.

Hours pass by, the sun setting in the horizon a message to the crew, filming will be done for the day. Once the sun is completely out of sight, Niall calls it a wrap, everyone cheering and heading out, in costume and all. Louis approaches Niall, the director speaking to a few of his crew members. After he's finished, he turns to Louis, a bright smile on his face.

"What'd you think, kid? Once in a lifetime kind of thing, huh?"

"It was splendid. I loved every minute of it." Niall goes to wrap an arm around the kid, but the man Harry sent with Louis shoots him a glare. Ignorant, Louis walks on, not watching as the man keeps a keener eye on the pair. Niall, however, raises a brow at Louis, trying to understand just how much this boy means to Harry.

"Hey, kid?"

"Yeah?"

"Harry ever mention what he do for a living?"

"Yeah." So the boy does know.

"And you're like, okay with it?" Louis takes a moment to consider the question. Is he okay with Harry being a gangster? It's not like it's changed much about the man, knowing what he does for a living is just something he's learned. The man that has to watch over his shoulder is the only difference that's come to light. Besides the need for Louis to be under surveillance when out of Harry's sight, he thinks all is well.

"Sure, he's made a life for himself and I respect him for that."

"You respect him, even if he kills people." Louis stiffens, having trouble breathing. Harry never told him that. Killing a part of his job? He never once mentioned murder. Murder?! Louis feels a bit woozy, body swaying as he tries to take it in. He feels his feet slip from underneath him, almost hitting the ground. The security man gets to him before he can fall, heaving Louis up in his arms.