5 • Vincent

I didn't get why Oliver wanted to meet up, but it was an opportunity to actually make friends.

I wasn't a social type, but my mom was always on my case about talking to kids my age.

And since we were gonna meet at Arn, I figured I'd bring my sketchbook to sketch some plants or maybe the playground.

So I grabbed my sketchbook, art supplies, and since it was just the park, I didn't put much effort into my appearance.

When I'd gotten to the park, I saw Oliver sitting on a bench by the merri-go-round.

He looked in my direction and smiled. I smiled back, trying to be a little more open and comfortable. I mean, Oliver did see me naked so I guess it's already an open acquaintanceship.

I stopped a few feet from Oliver and said hi.

He wanted to call me Vince since it was less formal and more friendly, which was fine with me. We walked down the dirt path through the trees in the park.

"Do you have any drawings in there?" He asked. I looked down at my sketchbook, and nodded.

"Just a few," I answered. I drew a lot, and I had only gotten that sketchbook Tuesday with my savings from babysitting.

"Cool! I'm not good at much besides school and such. I'm not bad at sports, but they're not my thing. Can I see some?"

I was surprised at how social he was. He was kind of a nerd, with his parted hair and glasses. Plus his tall and slim frame made him look goofy, especially with him tucking button-ups into his pants.

I sat on a nearby bench, and he sat next to me. I opened the book up and leaned towards him to show the sketches.

The first one was a charcoal drawing of my mom, the second a penciled sketch of a rose, and the third another pencil sketch of a man I'd seen on the city bus staring out the window.

"Wow...," Oliver whispered to himself. He was affixed on them like they were painted by Picasso himself.

"These are really good! You're so talented... how long have you been drawing?" He asked.

I shrugged.

"About eight years. My dad had started teaching me when I was seven, before he died."

"Oh... I'm sorry to hear that. He taught you very well, though," Oliver quickly changed the subject back.

We stood back up and walked back down the trail towards the park.

"So why aren't sports your thing? You're pretty good at running, even if it's just running," I said, looking at him. He looked back over at me, smiled, then turned back ahead.

"Eh, I guess I just don't want to be busy a lot. I spend a lot of time either hanging out with friends, reading, or studying. It's how I stay on top of my grades."

I looked down at my sketchbook. We made it back to the playground.

"I just spend my time drawing really. I don't have a lot of friends," I said as we stopped to climb on the playground equipment.

Oliver gave me a look that basically said "what? How?!" Oliver the super nerd had more friends than me. Granted, Oliver wasn't a complete loser; it wasn't like he spent all day playing video games, he was more like the stereotypical nerd. Book smart. He had plenty of friends and was very social, but I was quiet and had no friends.

"Well, I'll be your friend if you'd like," he suggested, giving a big smile. I didn't know how friends should even act. All I knew was that they were two people that hung out a lot.

"Yeah sure. Thank you," I said. Oliver chuckled and sat on one of the swings. I sat next to him.

He started swinging back and forth, gaining height.

"Let's make a little bet!" He shouted to me. I laughed and agreed.

"I bet that you can't get higher than me on the swing. If you can't, you have to come to my house tomorrow to hang out and maybe do a drawing for me. If you can, I will join the cross country team," he called between swings. Seemed fair enough, he did what he's good at if I won, and I do what I'm good at if I lose.

Win win, either way.

"Okay," I shouted back, and began swinging. I hardly have ever been on a swing besides when I was in kindergarten nine years ago. With that, I also wasn't very athletically fit. I ate healthy, but I didn't exercise very much. I could hardly run two laps without wheezing.

As I kicked my legs up and back, up and back, I realized how high Oliver was. He was practically horizontal from the swing set bars.

I had only got a few feet high before I gave up and lost.

Oliver laughed and said, "well it's settled. My house tomorrow and you can draw for me."

He gave me a cheeky smile and got off the swing.

It began getting late, so I got my stuff and said goodbye to Oliver.

"I'll see ya tomorrow, Vince," he said, giving me a kind smile. He seemed a little sad.

"Message me whenever."

"I will," I nodded, and left towards home.