23 • Vincent

His face was serious and intense, even if his voice was just a whisper.

His voice was smooth yet gruff, and sadly it did what it always does to me. I could feel my heartbeat hitch along with my breath, and my face grow red.

I had been attempting to avoid Oliver for the past couple days since I had told him I wanted to stop seeing him. His face that night is still burned into my mind.

I stared back intensely into his eyes and remained firm where I stood.

"Oliver, please. I told you what I wanted to and now I just want to go," I said silenced. I didn't want to make a big fuss in case anyone was either in the bathrooms, or outside of them.

"Vincent, I am not leaving."

His face was close to mine, his hazel eyes staring back at me. I tried to slow my breathing.

"Please, I am begging. Talk to me, Vince. Please," Oliver said, continuing to keep his voice low. His breath smelled of spearmint.

"What is there to say?"

"I am begging for your forgiveness, for what I did to make you think I am using you. I'm not. Just, listen to me, okay?"

I kept my tenacity in seeming tough, but softened as I leaned more against the wall, allowing him to elaborate.

He sighed.

"Vincent Darrins, from the moment I saw you, you were a godsend into my life. Yes, on the outside I seemed like some nerdy popular kid that was always around friends. But that never mattered to me. What mattered was... what mattered all that time was you. I wanted you to see me, but not how everyone else did, or, does. I wanted you to see the Oliver I am, not some kid who's always cracking jokes and being some obnoxious kid in the front of class always being first to answer everything."

He pauses, lifting his head from bowing it due to our height difference. He effortlessly pushes his hair back as it softly falls back to where it was originally. He licks his lips and returns to his former position. He returns his left hand into his pocket, leaving all his weight on his right arm that's still affixed to the wall.

"Vincent, you are an angel in my eyes. A perfect and amazing soul, beautiful in every way. And if I were to lose you I don't think that, even after all this time, I could ever lose you. Every piece of you I could never go a day without. I want you, Vincent. And I want you in my life. So please, don't go. Don't say goodbye. I love you."

I didn't know what to say. Let alone, what to think. If anything, I felt selfish. This amazing guy falls for me, and I fall for him, but I just go and mess it up. As I usually do.

I begin to lose my composure, tears welling into my eyes, making it impossible to see anything in front of me. I lower my head, hiding my face from him. I didn't think I could even stand to look at him.

"Vince."

He grabbed my hands, slowly easing me into a hug. His arms were strong but gentle, wrapping around me warmly and as kind as could be. I was shocked.

I gently unfolded my hands and let them press against his chest, burrowing my head into his shoulder.

I hated to get his jacket wet with my tears, but once they fell, they wouldn't stop.

I had always been a crybaby.

After a while, he releases me from his hold, wiping my face from the tears that had fallen.

"So is that an 'I forgive you'?" He chuckles.

I laugh along with him, wiping the rest of my tears from my face.

"I-I'm sorry, I just... I overthink and then I panic. I can't really help it... I've never thought I was worthy of anyone loving me. Not the way you do. So I thought it was fake, a front, just to get your way with me."

"I would never hurt you like that. You're my little angel, Vincent."

He gently grabbed my hand, pulling it up to his lips and kissing it.

I could feel that my face was hot and I turned away slightly.

"I'm sorry, Oliver. I love you."

I turn my head up towards his face and kiss his cheek gently. I can feel that my damp cheeks graze his, as I pull my face away from his and see that his face melts from worry and fun to genuine care and love.

Something I've hardly experienced.

I smile as I realize we are probably late to class. After a short silence, I decide to speak up.

"We can go to the police station after school today."

Olivers face lights up with curiosity and wonder.

"Really?"

I nod.

"Th-that's great! Yeah, uh, we can head there right after school. But I guess we should head to class now," he chuckles more, his bright smile revealing his lined teeth.

I smile back, and we turn to exit the bathrooms.

First period dragged on forever, but luckily Striker didn't give me a rough time.

Heading to PE, my excitement and happiness grew with each passing step.

I wonder if people thought something was wrong because I had such a smile on my face? Even if they wondered, it wouldn't matter.

I walked straightened, brighter than usual. I was just hoping I caught up to Oliver before we actually made it to PE.

As I wandered down the halls towards the gym, I recognized Connor walking just a few feet up ahead and away from me. Of course, he didn't notice me, but that's when I realized Oliver was walking alongside him.

They were talking.

Curious, I wonder what they're saying? I thought.

It's none of my business.

I tried to get closer to hear them without them noticing.

"...ay? I like him an... ange that," I heard Oliver through the crowd of people through the halls.

Change what?

I listened more, even though I shouldn't have.

"Oliver, I know I can't change your feelings for 'im... an't change the... at I like you, and I just... I don't know," Connor said.

Like him?!

I shriveled down a bit, but I was confident that Oliver loves me.

We reached the gym, and as soon as Connor walked away from Oliver, I walked up to him in Connor's place.

"Hey. What was that about?"

"Oh, did you catch any of that?"

"Maybe a bit... something about liking someone and Connor liking you, right?"

He sighed.

"I would never hurt you, Vince. He just... doesn't know what to do with his feelings. He knows I love you."

"Good."

I don't know what came over me, but I reached up and held Oliver's neck, pulling him into a kiss.