13 • Vincent

(Warning: this chapter depicts images and scenarios of rape and violence. If you are sensitive to this subject, please skip this chapter. You have been warned.)

I rubbed my eyes as I awoke from sleep. I was in the nurses room, laying on the paper covered bed they had in there. The nurse was sitting across the room from me at her desk, thumbing through papers.

I sat up on the bed and looked around. It was almost time for fifth period. I had missed all of third and lunch, most of fourth.

The teacher looked up from her papers and towards me. She gave me a warm smile and stood.

"Hello Vincent."

"Hi Ms. Evans."

"Are you feeling better? Your friend Oliver brought you in here before third period started."

"Yeah, I'm feeling much better. Thank you."

"I'm just going to check your temperature and send you to fifth period, okay?"

I nodded. She placed the back of her hand on my forehead, then brought out a thermometer and took my temperature.

After a few moments, she handed me a pass and sent me to class.

Passing period was about to begin, but luckily I reached the English classroom before it could.

The bell loudly sounded through the classroom and hallway, the sound of people moving past and voices carried.

I sat in my seat in the back of class and waited for the other kids to flood in.

Oliver was the first to get there. It looked like he practically ran there.

He caught sight of me, and ran towards me, clutching me in his tight hug, his strong arms holding me as close as posssible.

The teacher wasn't in there, but it wasn't until a kid chuckled that Oliver let go of me.

"Are you okay?" He asked, putting his hands on my shoulders. I nodded and smiled.

His face was slightly red, and his eyes serious but kind. A look of relief crossed his face as he sat down next to me.

I was just thankful Connor and Shaun didn't have this class with us. However, that didn't stop a girl named Emily from sitting next to Oliver and constantly talking to him.

She was short and had freckles all over, with short close cropped brown hair. She was nice, but rather annoying and only ever talked to boys really. So many saw her creepy and annoying, but she was nice none the less.

I just didn't like her around Oliver.

She sat down on the other side of Oliver, and smiled at him. Rather than smiling back like usual Oliver, to my surprise, he didn't even look at her.

"What's up?" She said, continuing to smile anyways.

I intently watched them, knowing she probably wouldn't notice me.

"I'm just a little tired," he replied quietly. He looked at me and smiled slightly. I smiled back.

She peered over at me and noticed my presence, oddly, and spoke.

"Oh hi are you a friend of Oliver's too?" She smiled at me and waited for my response.

I nodded and scooted closer to Oliver, him scooting a little close to me.

-

Later

I grabbed my art supplies and began putting it away.