p a l m t r e e

We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop. —Mother Teresa

◽︎◾︎◽︎

"Aaaaarrrriiiaaaaaaaa..."

"Mmm, Tinkerbell?"

"Ahh, isn't that the question?"

"That sounded somewhat different from your usual greeting."

"I'm experimenting. Seeing if you react."

"Oh."

"I'm kind of glad you called, actually. Things were getting, uh, boring around here."

"Really? You don't strike me as someone who usually gets bored."

"That's because I usually have one or two seagulls to keep me company."

"Oh... and they aren't here?"

"No... uh, yeah, about that... they've all migrated."

"...Why do you make that sound like the saddest thing in the world?"

"It is."

"I don't even know how to respond."

"It's okay; I'm getting over it. Plus, you're here now."

"Aww. How has business been?"

"Slow."

"Sold any guavas?"

"Well, you're on the other side of the world, so no, not really."

"I'm seriously on an island a few miles south of you. When did you become so dependent on me for business?"

"Since the first time you mail-ordered."

"Oh."

"Speaking of which, there's this amazing deal that's only available for a limited time! 50% off the regular for mangoes!"

"I don't really know if..."

"75% off!"

"Seriously?"

"It's called bartering. Honestly, you have to buy this fruit before it loses its ripeness!"

"With deals like that, you should be sold out by now."

"We aren't quite, but one can dream."

"Hmm."

"... Are you still thinking about it?"

"I swear, if I'm going to get another $45 bill for this..."

"Hey, the money for shipping fruit all the way to your house--not to mention the time it takes out of my work day--has to come from somewhere. What's wrong, anyway? I'm sure it's nothing some quality juice can't fix."

"I had to scrounge up the last bit from my birthday money. And guess who doesn't have enough time in her schedule to manage a job."

"Aw gosh... I didn't realize it was going to be so taxing. I'm really sorry about that, Aria."

"You do care?"

"Um... not to an extremity, but seeing as you're a... a... dedicated customer, I care about your welfare, as well as how our merchandise could potentially benefit you."

"So you don't care."

"I just said that I did! Plus, you're one of our top customers!"

"... I've bought fruit from you once? If that makes me a top customer, maybe I should receive a discount."

"Um... er... that's not what I meant."

"Look, Fine Apple guy, I've got to go. I have an enormous list of stuff to do, and some of us actually have plans for our lives.

"Wait... Aria--"

"..."

"Oh."

◽︎◾︎◽︎