j e t t y

❝Never underestimate the power of a totally vacant beach with a really great view and really bad cell service.❞ - Unknown

◽︎◾︎◽︎

"Hello?"

"Hey... is this the Fine Apple Market?"

"You've reached it. Can I get you anything? Kiwis are on sale now for 60% off."

"Do you mail order to the Bahamas?"

"Oh, right. We haven't quite worked that into our route yet. Anyway, 'sup, dude? I mean, Aria?"

"Uh... hey. Just wanted to make sure everything was, you know, okay?"

"... Did uh... did something make you think things weren't okay?"

"Well, I dunno, you seemed kinda... different earlier. I mean--usually, I'm the one freaking out, but you got kinda... uh... it just seemed like you weren't happy or something, like you didn't want to talk to me, or-- screw it. Okay, did I mess up? 'Cause if I did, I'm sorry, and I really think you should know that I didn't mean ANYTHING, and that if you want me to make it up to you or anything--"

"--Aria--"

"--you should tell me, because otherwise I'd have NO idea that I'm actually being a jerk, and that is the absolute WORST, you know, and if you think this is obnoxious--"

"I didn't find your behavior obnoxious until the last six words."

"Oh. Uh... sorry?"

"Dude, Ari, it's fine; you didn't do anything. I was just thinking about something else yesterday... it was kind of taking over my mind. Everything's cool."

"... Are you sure?"

"Yeah, everything's really great. Things are looking on the bright side over here."

"What do you mean?"

"We got two solid hours of sun yesterday, if you don't count the little bit of clouds that kinda covered the sun at one point, but since you could still kinda see the light, I don't think that counts."

"Oh, uh... wow!"

"Yeah, it's really an improvement on last week. How are things down under?"

"Wait, what?!"

"I mean, wherever you are. The Bahamas or something? That's near Australia... right?"

"Uh, we're 313 miles southeast of Florida, but--"

"Ohhhh, wait, that's New Zealand. Sorry."

"I mean, they're both island nations, but..."

"Sheesh. It's been like nineteen years since I took geography class."

"... How old are you?"

"Eighteen."

"Seems legit."

◽︎◾︎◽︎

okay, quick announcement. i just want to let you all know how incredibly grateful i am for your amazing support! in honor of that, i'm going to start giving out story dedications to those of you who have shown visible support through votes/comments. i would have done this earlier, but i had no way of knowing how much support i'd have by this point! remember, dedication priority goes to those who both vote AND comment! i'd love to acknowledge all the silent readers, but i don't know who you all are. still, i'd encourage all of you to leave a little comment with your feedback, any parts you enjoyed, whatever! i want to hear from you :)

also, commenting shows me you exist, you care, and it helps me keep an easier record of who's reading so i know who to thank.

love you guys!

tina

p.s. we hit 500 votes and #130 in short story! *squeals*