v o l l e y b a l l

❝One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.❞ -Bob Marley

◽︎◾︎◽︎

"Hello... this is Lyndsey."

"Hello, this is the Fine App--"

"Old habit?"

"Whoops, sorry. The Fine Apple line is currently out of service. I'm using a... a payphone."

"Payphone? What's a payphone?"

"You know, one of those oldie booths by the side of the road where you put money in and then an operator asks you who you want to call? Is this before your time?"

"I'm joking. I just had no idea those were still around."

"So, what's good?"

"You tell me!"

"I tell you what?"

"Have you guys been talking?"

"Nah. I finally came to terms with myself, Lyndsey. She just isn't the right one for me."

"Yea--wait, seriously?"

"She has no respect for Bob Marley. She can't even remember his name."

"... I'm confused."

"I told her my real name was Bob Marley, and she thought I was serious. How can I date a girl who doesn't know who Bob Marley is?"

"Oh."

"What, you don't find that funny?"

"Which part? The Bob Marley part or the part where Aria thought you were serious?"

"Ugh... just... never mind."

"But that's it, though? You've forgiven her for everything else but you can't handle that she has a different music taste than you?"

"I'm not one to hold grudges. I told her, the past is in the past. But if I date her, it's kinda in the fine print that she needs to recognize that Bob Marley is a legend and at least know his name."

"Aww, I ship it!"

"Who, Aria and Bob Marley?"

"What the heck? No, I meant--"

"'Baria' has a nice ring to it."

"If you don't stop joking around I'm gonna hang up. I thought this was supposed to be a serious call."

"I don't do 'serious.'"

"You'll have to if this job is going to work out. How's that going by the way?"

"St. Kitts Cruises liked my application and I had a formal 'smoothie barista' interview with them."

"I still find that title hilarious."

"Why?" 

"Because a barista, by definition, is someone who serves in a coffee bar."

"So a smoothie barista, by definition, is someone who serves in a smoothie bar. Easy."

"There's a huge difference between smoothies and coffee."

"Why? Both are delicious, give you energy, and boost your brain cells."

"Whatever. So how did the interview go?"

"I don't know. It's the first real job interview I've ever had, so I don't know really know how it measures up."

"Did you remember to just be yourself?"

"Tried to, yeah."

"That's all you need to do."

"Wait, really?"

"Well, yeah, it doesn't guarantee you the position, but it gives them a good idea of whether or not you'd be a good fit."

"Oh."

"You'll do fine, Nicholas. You're the kind of person they want--enthusiastic, friendly, a fruit guru..."

"I told them I spend a lot of my spare time contemplating methods of cultivating mangoes in more temperate regions. Is that okay?"

"You're a unique species, Nicholas. They value that."

"Okay."

◽︎◾︎◽︎