s t a r f i s h

❝For whatever we lose (like a you or a me), it's always our self we find in the sea❞ -E.E. Cummings

◽︎◾︎◽︎

"I'd say she has an electrifying effect... she gets under your skin somehow in a way that annoys you at first but can eventually be rather endearing."

"It's more than that. She did something to me, man. It's one of those things you can't quite place, but she drove me out of my shell somehow... made me want to be a better person, want to put more effort into my life. Up until recently, it's always been the miserable daily drag, and then you just get this legit tidal wave of energy SURGE through and re-form your entire resolve... you know what I mean?"

"And you get this feeling from... Aria?"

"I'm just saying that talking to her changed the way I looked at things, even though I didn't realize it at first. She's so pressured to be the very best she can at... well, everything... and I never saw the value in that until recently. In fact, it kinda took her not talking to me to realize how much I needed it."

"I'd say she's pretty paranoid. I don't know how that helps you... it kind of pushes me over the edge, to be completely honest."

"That's the weird thing about it. I kinda needed to be pushed over the edge to see just how way out of line I really was."

"Oh."

"Back when we first met--or talked, really, since we've never actually met-- she was begging me to help her because she thought she'd lost her phone. She seemed so disoriented and frazzled and scared and it was almost hilarious. I thought she was low-key crazy and didn't really want to help her at first, but she just kept calling back, you know? And then I wanted to help her, and she let me, but through it all I don't think she ever quite realized just how messed up I was--probably even more than she is, honestly."

"Messed up?"

"Man, I'm going nowhere in life. My family hates me and the only thing I'm good for is selling fruit. And I'm barely even good enough for that."

"Really? That's depressing."

"Thanks."

"But honestly though. That's your life? You never struck me as that kind of person."

"Yeah, exactly. I should have just told Aria the truth about myself, but if I did, I knew she'd lose interest in talking to me, and I felt like I actually had a friend for once... I had a chance to be different... to have someone think of me differently. I could be whoever I wanted to be over the phone. And then I wrecked it by wanting to discourage her from succeeding just because I was so busy moping over my own life. I just didn't want to be the only failure."

"Dude, I'm sorry."

"Don't be--it's done, it's over, man. She's got you, I've got my pineapples. We're happy."

"Don't take this the wrong way, man, but for someone who's happy, you sound like you're about to cry."

"..."

"That came out wrong. Are you okay, dude?"

"I'm no less okay than I've ever been, Cabbage Man."

"Listen, dude, I'm sorry your friendship had to end this way, but honestly, I don't think it's possible that you could have been totally in the wrong."

"Well no, maybe not, but I was still selfish."

"Nick, as her boyfriend, personally I think she cares a little too much about her work. She never makes time for any of the people who care about her--not even me. School can't get you everything you need in life."

"Kale, if you could see where I've ended up as a result of laziness in school, you would not want the same thing for her. I guarantee it."

"So you do want her to succeed?"

"It was just my selfishness that was getting in the way of me wanting the best for her before, and I don't care about that anymore. I don't know what's in store for me, but I want her to get where she needs to be. She deserves it. And no one should be holding her back from that."

"Hmm... okay. Thanks for the advice, Fine-Apple Guy."

"It was my pleasure, Cabbage Man."

◽︎◾︎◽︎

a/n: whatta turn, huh? what do you think of nicholas's perspective on aria? might he be changing kale's mind at all? leave a vote and a comment if you enjoyed it; they make my day! prepping your next update :)

tina