m a r i n e

❝We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch-- we are going back from whence we came.❞ -John F. Kennedy

◽︎◾︎◽︎

"TINKERBELL!"

"Wha's cookin', good-lookin'?"

"I'm going to pretend you didn't just say that. Tink, what did you just do?!"

"Me? Uh, nothing. My last recorded activity was when I changed the radio two hours ago."

"What about that 'magic' thing you were talking about doing earlier?"

"Huh?"

"You said you were going to 'work your magic' or something?"

"I also said I was kidding."

"... But something happened, 'cause that test was so easy and breezy! I couldn't believe how simple it was!"

"'Easy and breezy?' You're starting to sound like my breed of beach bum."

"Seriously, Tink, what did you do?"

"I uh... prayed really hard when I thought you were about to go in...?"

"... But... that's it?"

"If you insist, it's possible that the fruit I delivered yesterday was partially responsible."

"... Ohhhhh."

"What did you think it was?"

"I mean, it was hard to pinpoint; I just remembered everything so well, and when I was writing things out, it all just came so easily."

"See? Tropical fruit is good for stimulating the brain. It really is an underrated study tactic."

"That's so crazy! Why didn't you ever try using it when you were in school? Wouldn't it have helped you back then?"

"... Uhh... I. Um."

"Oh, I--I'm sorry."

"It's no sweat. I just... erm... I, uh..."

"Sorry if I offended you."

"It's not offense. It's regret. Aria, I... uh... well here's the hard truth. I'm a failure."

"... Oh, Tink..."

"What are you going to do, deny it? You don't know anything about me."

"Tink, that's a really harsh thing to say about yourself. I mean... we all feel like failures every day... Sometimes I spend days when I waste time instead of studying and I have no idea what I'm doing with myself."

"But see, that's just it, Ari. You're a hard worker, and you're concerned enough about school and about life that you won't let yourself fail like I did."

"I don't think you should say that, Tink."

"Why not?"

"You... You're a good person. Really."

"And that amounts to what?"

"It's important."

"Look, Aria, you don't understand why I suck so bad. I'm so lazy I haven't accomplished anything. My family hates me. I never get any business. I'm doomed to live out the rest of my days as a reclusive and destitute beach bum. The only thing that keeps me going is my beautiful ocean... and... and talking to you."

"Tink..."

"Does that make my life any less of a failure? If it does, tell me, please."

"Maybe I should go."

"Wait, what? Why?"

"I have to talk to you later. I'm sorry."

◽︎◾︎◽︎