seven - winter wonderland by michael bublé

"SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN!"

"Brandon, shut it."

"NEVER YOU GRINCH!"

Brandon has been singing Christmas songs ever since he woke up and saw the white blanket of snow over the ground. It was the first snow of the season, and it was about time. Christmas was a week away and we needed snow on the ground or else Brandon would've broken down.

"YOU BETTER WATCH OUT, YOU BETTER NOT CRY!" Brandon cries out. I just sigh at my brother's actions and continue to text Colton, who was changed under my contacts as B.S.B for Backyard Serenade Boy, just in case Brandon decided to start snooping through my phone. I still feel bad about keeping all of this a secret from him, we always tell each other everything. But now is about time I can keep some things to myself. I don't need to tell him every single thing that happens in my life.

Colton and I hadn't talked in person since the mall indecent, but that was because both of our schedules were demanding, nothing else. I still miss him though, but I don't know why, he's just like all of my other friends.

"AUTUMN EVE! I DIDN'T RAISE YOU TO NOT BE IN CHRISTMAS SPIRIT!" My father comes in and starts yelling.

Sometimes I wonder if my family was high, on sugar of course. "Dad, I told you, I'm not in the mood. I'm still sick," I tell him the truth. I've been under a stupid cold for two days, with a budding fever making it's way up to the surface.

"You haven't gotten over that yet?" Dad has a pout on his face.

"Oh, no, I have. Don't you see me jumping in joy?" I say in a dead tone. Both of the men, or boys, roll their eyes at my sarcasm.

Ping!

Text message from B.S.B.

Are you doing okay?
Sent 5:21pm.

Somewhat, I wish that I could get rid of this stuffy nose though. I also could go for some hot chocolate. bUT MY PARENTS HAVE BANNED ME FROM IT!
Sent 5:22pm.

Gee I wonder why.
Sent 5:22pm.

I find that offensive.
Sent 5:23pm.

"Who are you texting?" Brandon peered over my shoulders. "Autumn, who the hell is B.S.B?"

"Oh, um, um." I try coming up with an excuse. "Oh! Lacey wanted me to change her name. She didn't want Lace or Lacey."

Brandon looks confused. "Then what does B.S.B mean?"

"Best Sister. She wanted to add the B so that it wasn't B.S." He didn't agree with me, I could tell from the look in his eyes, but he drops the subject. It took some effort but I didn't make a relieved face.

We sit in silence for a few minutes while Dad reads Sports Illustrated. Brandon broke the silence. "Are you sure you're not lying to me?"

"Positive," I groan. Brandon backs off and went into the other room singing Christmas songs.

"Hey Autumn, would you be okay here by yourself? Brandon's football team is having a tailgate to celebrate winter, and adults are invited," Dad asks in a quiet voice.

I nod yes. "Sure, but can I get some egg drop soup first?"

He gives me a thumbs up. "No problem at all, Autumn Eve."

I tense up, Dad never calls me that.

He just laughs. "You think Lacey just only talks to you? Your mother and I interrogated her until she cracked."