Q&A + fun facts + sneak peek + final author's note

Q&A

Question number one: How did you come up with the idea for this book?

Well, I had always wanted to write a complete story for Wattpad. My previous stories were crap and I was just looking for an idea. I gave up after five minutes if I'm being honest. I was sitting outside in my yard, looking up at the sky; then, I shuffled my music and thought, hey I could write a book about music, that'd be cool. Backseat Serenade by All Time Low came up on my music shuffle, and the immediate thought that came to my head was, what if I write about a Backyard Serenade? I did immediate character development and I came up with major plot points. Once I had the basics, I wrote the entire first chapter in one sitting. And thus, Backyard Serenade was born!

Question number two: Was there another way you were going to end the book?

To be honest? No, not really. Of course I was toying with ideas, but there was never one set in place until I came up with the idea for the epilogue. In the beginning of the first planning stages, one of those ideas was having Colton go to Ella after they had they had their first big fight. Then Autumn would go after him at Ella's house. Then some shit would happen and we'd be at the end. That just didn't end up fully working out in my head (which is why I trashed it). But, when I had this ending idea come up, the plan was set in place.

Question number three: How did you come up with the playlist for this book?

I've always been a big lover of music, so it was not that hard to think of some songs. At first, they were just random songs. I absolutely love The Cab and All Time Low so very much (the bands of the first two songs, intoxicated and cinderblock garden) but then, as plot became a bigger part of the story, the songs started to change. From Kids, to Why Worry, to Like This, they all had to relate to the plot somehow. Those songs were a big essential part of the story.

Question number four: Who was the hardest character to write/what was the hardest chapter to write?

That's a tough one. Hardest chapter definitely, without a doubt, tied. Chapter 12 and Chapter 15 were my most difficult ones. Twelve because I had never had a fight with my significant other (because I've never had one oops). Fifteen because, again, I've never been on a date. Sad, yes I know but it's the truth. Hardest character, that's a jumble. Autumn because it was her POV all the time, Colton and Brandon because I am not a male. If I had to choose, probably Colton. I don't know why, but Colton.

Question number five: Was Brandon or Autumn ever bullied?

To put it simply, yes. Brandon was bullied in fifth grade for being small and weak; therefore, Autumn (after completely slaying the bully) encouraged him to take up (american) football to make him stronger. Now he loves the sport. Autumn was bullied for being a nerd when she was in middle school, and she didn't take it well. Because of that Brandon is now very overprotective of her. Now, both of them are badasses and no one dare bullies the most iconic sibling duo.

Question number six: Did Colton ever go back to Ella's house?

He debated it for a long time. But in the end, no. He thought that the universe was trying to tell him that singing to Ella was a bad idea when he got the wrong address. Then, he met Autumn again and thoughts of Ella slowly started leaving his mind *wink wink*.