ten - something you need by against the current

Brandon and I had not spoken to each other for four days. Four fucking days.

They've been torture, we can hardly be in the same room with each other without the awkwardness suffocating us. Mom and Dad have sensed something is wrong, but until they have solid proof that we were very mad at each other, I don't think they will take action.

Colton and I still continue to talk everyday. He's talking to me and helping through the situation, yet I can't bring myself to patch things up with Brandon.

Also, Colton and I have not talked about our tumble into the snow, nor do we want to. My feelings for him haven't gone away, which is frankly quite annoying. Why can't he hate puppies or do something mean to make me not like him? Maybe Brandon was right about the fact that Colton may break me, he does have the power to break my heart. I hate that.

School was torture as usual, but it was even more torturous because Lacey and I weren't on speaking terms anymore. Brandon must've told her that he had told me the big secret, and she's probably playing it safe. Hell, I would even stay away from myself. Everyone knows I'm not Mary Poppins when I'm mad. More like Adam Sander's character in Happy Gilmore.

"Miss Summers! Are you paying attention?" My teacher shouts at me. Mrs. Opikla is the living definition of the worst teacher ever. She's short and evil, a living embodiment of the typical evil teacher that you see in movies with graying hair. Science was such a pain with her as my teacher.

I respond to her question, "Oh yes ma'am. Don't you see me actively writing notes on this spectacular lesson?" Pointing my hand down at my notebook, which was blank, I put on a sickly sweet face. The one that she always uses.

Before she could give me a detention slip, the bell rings, signaling class has come to an end. I get out of the classroom quicker than The Flash.

Saved by the bell, I think.

Taking a sharp left, I run straight into a nice sturdy chest. "Oh goodness I am so sorry! I wasn't looking where–" I stop when I see who I ran into. "Hey! You're the guy from Great Cookies of America, right?" I ask, stepping away from him.

He nods, a small smile on his face. "I don't think we've officially met, my name is Adam Jaskid," he says, his voice light and fun. Adam sticks out his hand.

I shake his hand. "And I'm Autumn Summers, and you're watching Disney Channel."

He sings the background for the ad terribly off-key, earning a giggle from me. Smiling, I let go of his hand. "Disney fan?"

He nods. "Totally, though, I do prefer old Disney over new Disney."

"Same!" I shout. I start to walk toward my locker, which was down at the end of the hall, and Adam follows me. "Stalking me now, are you?" I quip.

"Maybe, maybe not. It could also just be my locker is this way as well. So, tell me, Autumn, how've you been doing since I've last seen you?" He says. I stop at my blue locker that has all of my books in it. Adam continues down a few lockers, his locker being just a few away from mine.

"I've been doing good!" I shout over the noise, hoping he can hear me. Everyone crowds around lockers; no one seems to want to go to their next class. Typical morning at school basically.

Adam comes and meets me over by the side of my locker, he leans against it like it was no big deal. "If I could hear correctly over the mob, you said that you're doing good," he comments while shifting his stuff from one hand to another.

"Yes, indeed. How bout yourself?" I counter.

Adam runs his free hand through his hair. "I've been doing great actually. Business is booming at the store, things are going well with this boy I like, my team is winning in basketball, and life is going smoothly."