eight and a half - bright by echosmith

Colton's POV
(wink wink)

I drop Autumn Eve at Lacey's house per her request. It was a little out of the way but it was the least I could do for her after babysitting the twins. Maybe I'll sing her a song in a day or two, giving her some Junior Mints in the process or something like that.

Once I get home I am completely bombarded with questions from my dad before I even sit on the couch. "You call her Autumn Eve? How adorable. She's very pretty, how'd you get that lucky? How did she do with the twins do you know?"

"Dad! Just, give me a second to listen to all of your questions." I sigh. "I think she did fine with the twins. I mean, the twins did ask her to marry me so she can stay here forever, so I take that as a good sign. As for how lucky I am to have her, I don't know what I did. I do know I thank the Lord for having her as my friend."

Dad just laughs. "What's so funny?" I question.

"You," he responds.

I shoot him a pointed look. "Why?"

He has a pondering look on his face, hooking a finger under his chin. "Oh, I don't know, maybe. Just maybe, you have a crush on her."

What did this man eat for breakfast this morning? Autumn Eve is a friend, maybe even best friend. Definitely off limits for me. Plus, what would she see in me? I start laughing. "Good joke, Dad."

Dad's smile did a one-eighty flip. "Son, don't lie to me. I know you like her."

"Dad, I don't like her."

He sits down next to me on the couch. "Did you know I felt the same way about your mother?"

I freeze. "W-what?"

"Son, your mother and I were the best of friends for the longest time before I finally realized I liked her. All I could think about was her, all the time, but I denied those feelings for a long time though. I buried them beneath the surface, believing that they were just childish thoughts. When I finally realized I liked her, I slowly stopped spending a lot of time with her, I was afraid of losing our friendship, but in the time I spent away from her my feelings were growing and friendship disappearing. Your mom, bless her heart, went up to me after a month of only seeing her a few times, and kissed me. We were in high school at the time, right around your age. Now, we could've been with each other long before I finally came to terms with how I felt. Is this making any sense, Colton?"

I slowly shake my head no. He sighs. "What I'm saying is come to terms with your feelings. You never know what might happen, and I'm not saying go get her right away, but just think about it."

This man is getting too old. I don't have a crush on Autumn Eve; I have a crush on Ella.

I run upstairs to sit down and read. After looking over my shelves, I decide to read Autumn Eve's old story writing notebook. I remember I picked it up in the park, because I was curious. Words couldn't convey how shocked I was that it belonged to Autumn. It was what truly inspired me to go and visit her house again. Yet, I still felt guilty for keeping the notebook, but I also don't at the same time. As a good person, I should return it, but I feel selfish and want to keep it. The stories written in the book I held in my hands were amazing and fantastic, just like Autumn Eve.

Gah, I think. Grabbing my guitar, coat, and song binder, I go outside so I won't disturb anyone sleeping in my house.

Shrugging on my coat, I sit down on the porch steps andturn to the next song in the blue binder and it was Bright by Echosmith.

"I think the universe is on my side,
Heaven and Earth have finally aligned.
Days are good and that's the way it should be."

I think of Autumn Eve, the way her eyes light up when she smiles. How she always is trying to make things light and humorous.

"You sprinkle star dust on my pillow case.
It's like a moonbeam brushed across my face.
Nights are good and that's the way it should be.

You make me sing oh, la, la, la.
You make a boy go oh oh,
I'm in love."

I know it sounds like something straight out of a romantic comedy, but she smells great. Like vanilla, which is weird because I know she hates it, she loves chocolate and would never even think for a second about eating vanilla.

"Did you see that shooting star tonight?
Were you dazzled by the same constellation?
Did you and Jupiter conspire to get me?
I think you and the Moon and Neptune got it right
'cause now I'm shining bright, so bright.
Bright, so bright."

Ella's pretty, with her dark brown hair and fair pale skin, there was no question about it. But Autumn Eve, she's beautiful, elegance galore, no doubt. Her blonde hair is short, but it's like it has a life of its own, bouncing up and down every time she laughs. Her eyes are the best thing about her, they were hazel and you always knew her feeling by her eyes.

"And I see colors in a different way.
You make what doesn't matter fade to grey.
Life is good and that's the way it should be.

You make me sing oh, la, la, la.
You make a boy go oh oh,
I'm in love, love.

Did you see that shooting star tonight?
Were you dazzled by the same constellation?
Did you and Jupiter conspire to get me?
I think you and the Moon and Neptune got it right,
'cause now I'm shining bright, so bright,
and I get lost in your eyes."

I am such a sap, maybe Dad was right. Maybe I do like her. Maybe the twins saw it too.

"Did you see that shooting star tonight?
Were you dazzled by the same constellation?
Did you and Jupiter conspire to get me?
I think you and the Moon and Neptune got it right,
'cause now I'm shining bright, so bright.
Bright, so bright.
Bright, so bright.
And I get lost in your eyes tonight."

I can't believe it. I like Autumn Eve Summers, and damn, it is one of the best feelings I've ever had.

-------------

authors note- I'm being true to my word, and you guys have almost twenty reads and it has only been three days (or four because it's a little after midnight here in the Midwest), so here is the update (not your typical one but I'm the author I can do as I please)! And it is a shorter chapter, but I hope you guys love it! I wanted to make it longer, but then I'm like 'Nah, better not.' next chapter is going to be a very long one, so prepare for the Winter ;) anyway, comment what you guys think will happen next!

Lots of love,
Morgan Kay