nine - angel with a shotgun by the cab

Back to Autumn's POV

"What in the name of frankenshit happened over there that's got you in such a happy mood?" Lacey asks me as we walk out of her house. It is the morning after the eventful night at Colton's, and it has me in such a happy mood. The twins must've given me some of their energy or something because I am ready to bounce off of some walls.

"The twins were vivacious."

"Stop using your big girl words, it's annoying," Lacey rolls her eyes playfully.

"Never," I stick out my tongue.

The weather outside is freezing, but not as cold as last week, showing signs of Winter on the slow but steady decline. It was the second week of January today, so this is the time the weather outside becomes temperamental. In this area of town though, next week could set records for lowest temperatures ever recorded.

A soft chill blows across my arms, giving me goosebumps. I pull on my hoodie strings, trying to fight the cold.

Lacey's eyebrows furrow the way they always do when she's thinking about something really hard; it was a face she didn't show often. "Wait, if Colton was meant to sing to this so called Ella chick, and she goes to his school or something, why aren't we going to his school or vice versa?"

"I think it's because Ella had friends going to that school, so she went there instead of ours, remember her from elementary? She had dark brown hair and eyes."

Lacey's eyes widen in recognition. "You mean the bitch that stole my animal crackers because I wasn't being a vegan? She lives on the street behind you?"

I about die of laughter. "I can't believe you remember that."

"Oh I remember anyone who steals my food. But the stupid part was she thought they were made from actual animals! Who in the name of fuck would think that!" Lacey starts muttering under her breath, "I'm going to drive her to the store and force her to buy me animal crackers. Then–"

I press the unlock button on my car to shut her up. "Love you, I've got to get home. I'll talk to you later, and maybe bring you animal crackers." As I pulled out of the driveway, she starts yelling at me, "You best do that or so help me Autumn–" her voice died out as I drove away.

I look at my watch. "Shit! It's already noon!" I said to no one in particular. I call Brandon up and ask him to meet me at the local diner for lunch. I was planning to tell him about Colton today, only because he seemed to be suspicious lately.

Lord please help me have strength.

***

I sit down in a black leather booth and look around the nice diner, admiring the décor.

The place itself was amazing. The walls are a nice forest green; they are full with pictures and awards from the opening of the diner to recent awards in cooking contests locally. You could openly see the kitchen at any table you sat at, which was a nice view to be honest. The tile floors were checkered black and white, shinning and showing your reflection. The Diner, its so called creative name was a favorite establishment of the town.

"Hi Autumn," a familiar voice comes from behind me.

I turn and smile. "What's up stranger?" Brandon slides in the other side of the booth, his lips press in a straight line. "What's wrong?" I ask, grabbing his hand as he sat down.

"Oh, it's nothing. Just my beloved twin sister who has lied to me for the past few days, maybe even these past few months. About that singer? Don't look at me like that, Autumn," he says, venom laced in his tone.