(four)

Maximilian Delmar Ortiz

I pulled away from Savannah's shop as I got a call from Israel. I picked it up as I sat at a red light.

"What up boy?" He said into the phone.

"What's good?" I said as I drove.

"Meet me at Jay's." He said as I made a left.

"Aight, one." I hung up and headed towards Jay's.

I parked in front of the building and headed in, seeing Israel sitting at a table. I slapped hands with him as I sat down. He looked over my outfit before speaking.

"You didn't work today?" He said with a raised eyebrow.

"I just got back, man. I start next week." I laughed.

The cashier walked over to us as Israel ordered.

"Not hungry, man?" He said as she walked away.

I shook my head. "Nah, man. I just came back from Lucci's."

He nodded. "By yourself?"

I chuckled. "Nah."

He motioned his hand as to say who.

"I, uh, took Savannah out for lunch." I scratched the back of my neck.

"Like my little sister?" He said as he stared at me.

I gulped and nodded. He didn't say anything, just stared at me.

"Look, man. I'm sorry." I said, trying to reason with him.

He stared for a long time before pulling his phone out. He dialed a number and it started to ring.

"Yes, Izzy?" Savannah's voice rang through the phone.

"Meet me at Ma's tonight at 7." He hung up before she could say anything else.

He typed for a while then looked back at me.

"Did you want me to leave or?" I said as I motioned to the door.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He said with a hard look on his face.

"It just happened. We talked on the ride home and I decided to take her to lunch as a thank you. It was friendly, I swear." I said.

"You like her?" He asked me.

I nodded and he followed, doing the same action.

"7 at my ma's. See you then." He grabbed his food and left, leaving me there to look dumb.

I waited for a few minutes then went to my car, got in and pulled off. I parked in my mom's driveway and went into the house. Nobody was there so I sat in the basement with the game on. This talk tonight was making me nervous. I was just getting to know Savannah, I would hate for it to be over already. Whatever happens, it won't be over for us.