(twenty-two)

Savannah Jay Carter

I turned my head as to shy away from the sunlight. I can't believe I slept through the night and where was Max? The question left my head as soon as it came because of the bile making its way up my throat. I ran to the bathroom and made it to the toilet just in time. I felt a hand hold my hair and rub my back. I wiped my mouth off and sat against the tub. Taj stood over me with a bottle of water in her hand.

"Thank you." I said as I took it from her.

"So my best friend gets engaged and I'm the last to know. Hm." She said as she sat on the sink.

"Technically, no. His family doesn't know." I shrugged.

"Doesn't matter. I'm only forgiving you because you got sick." She smirked.

"Is he here?" I asked.

"Yeah, he called me and your mom last night so we came over this morning. He made us breakfast." She said with her hand stuck out.

I stood up and brushed my teeth and hair. I followed behind Taj into the kitchen where my mom and Max sat.

"Hi." I said as I walked into the room.

I sat next to Max as he kissed the side of my head. I looked down at the plate of toast and eggs. I picked up a piece, chewing it.

"It's good nausea food." My mom said.

I nodded and swallowed the food. It felt good to have anything in my system. Throwing up was my only symptom so I couldn't have been sick. I would have been half dead.

"Did you get my stuff from last night?" I asked Max.

He nodded and went to grab it from the fridge. My eyes lit up as he set it in front of me. 

"Ew, what the hell are you eating?" Taj asked.

"It's good. Want some?" I asked.

Eating this made me feel 1000x better. I did a dance in my seat as my digestive system agreed with me for once in the past 36 hours. 

"Van, I need a favor." Max said.

"What's up?" I asked.

He set a pregnancy test in front of me, next to my strawberries. I looked around the table, feeling all eyes on me.

"Why?" I asked.

"Just to be safe, ya know." He shrugged.

I rolled my eyes and swiped the test from the table. Sure, it had crossed my mind but then again it hadn't. I sat on the toilet, trying to remember the last time I had a period. It's been irregular my whole life so it was untraceable. I finished, washed my hands and brought the test back out. I set it on the table and went back to eating breakfast.

"Don't just be throwing your pee stick around." Taj said.

I threw her a look and she sent it back.

"Attitude or not, it's nasty, Savannah." She said.

I went back to my strawberries, not really caring for all the thoughts running through my head. The test beeped, making us all look at it. 

"I'm nervous." I said.

Max reached out and picked it up. He turned it over as the smile on his face grew.

"Looks like we're having a baby." He said.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding as everyone cheered around me. I slightly smiled at the thought of a baby. They noticed how quiet I was and turned to look at me.

"You okay?" Taj asked.

"Yeah, happy even. Just thinking." I said.

Max's face frowned up and I reached out to grab his hand. 

"Thinking about how to decorate two rooms at the new house." I smiled at him.

His face relaxed as the smile grew back. He kissed my left hand where my ring sat. 

"You kids these days move so fast." My mom said as she wiped tears.

Her and Taj told us their congratulations before leaving out the house. I left out the kitchen and started to walk to my room.

"Where you going?" He asked.

"Getting dressed so we can tell your mom." I threw over my shoulder.

I put on a pair of jeans, a white t-shirt, a blue cardigan and a matching pair of moccasins. I put my hair in a high messy bun and grabbed my wallet.

"Let's go. The sooner we tell her, the better." I said.

We got in the car and drove to his mom's. 

"We can just tell her later." He shrugged.

"What, when the baby get here or at the wedding?" I said as I opened the door.

He got out and walked with me to the door. After standing there for a few minutes, she pulled the door open. She smiled at Max but hit me with the straight face. I smiled anyway as Max led me into the house.

"Mom, we have to tell you something." Max said.

She sat across from us.

"I proposed." He said.

"I said yes." I said as I showed her the ring.

She grabbed my hand and inspected.

"That's very nice, Max. Congratulations to you two." She smiled.

"I'd like for you to have a hand in helping me plan the wedding." I said.

She nodded and smiled at me. It looked to be genuine but you can never tell.

"And the baby shower." Max coughed.

Her eyes widened as she looked between the two of us.

"You're pregnant? She's pregnant?" She asked the both of us.

We nodded together. She clapped her hands together and ran over to us, giving us a hug. We hugged her back.

"I have to call everyone." She said as she pulled away.

"We're gonna go then. See ya, Ma. Love you." Max rushed out.

He pulled me from the chair and booked it to the front door. She waved us off as she pulled out her cell phone. We got back in the car to head to my place.

"That wasn't so bad, right?" I laughed.