(seventeen)

Maximilian Delmar Ortiz 

I pulled into my mother's driveway. I sighed and pulled off my sunglasses before getting out the car. I walked in the house, seeing my ma, Luisa and Francesca sitting at the kitchen island.

"Hey." I said as I stood in the doorway with my hands in my pockets.

Lu and Fran smiled at me while my mom's face stayed straight. Lu patted the seat between her and Fran for me to sit. I did as my mom put a plate in front of me.

"Thanks." I smiled lightly.

"Where's Savannah?" Fran asked.

My mom rolled her eyes and took a sip of her coffee. 

"I don't like her." She said.

"You wouldn't." Luisa snorted.

"She was rude and she's no good for you." She kept going.

"So were you, Ma." Fran chimed in.

"I think it's the other way around. I'm no good for her." I shrugged.

"You need to leave her alone." My mom said.

"That's what I came over to talk about. I'm not breaking up with her." I said.

"She's gotten to you too, huh? Jesus." She scoffed.

"Ma, you ran the last one away. You can't stand to see your son happy." Fran said.

"You want him to be miserable like you." Lu said.

My mom looked shocked that they were talking to her like that.

"Ma." I said but she threw her hand up.

"If that's how you feel, date her. I don't care. Don't come crying to me when it's all over." She said before storming out the kitchen.

"Don't listen to Ma." Fran said.

"We really like Savannah." Lu said.

"Anybody who stands up to Ma is definitely someone we like." They both nodded.

"I'm glad someone likes her." I said. 

"Ma likes her too, she just can't let you know that." Fran shrugged.

"Tell her I love her but I'm leaving." I stood up.

I kissed both of their cheeks and left out the house. I got on the road to head to Savannah's shop. I pulled in the parking lot as her and Taj walked through the doors. I followed behind them, catching Savannah's attention.

"Hey. What you doing here?" She asked.

"I came to check on you, see if you okay and stuff." I shrugged.

"I'm fine, Max. You okay? How was breakfast with your mom?" She asked.

I decided not to tell her the truth because she would blame it on herself.

"It was cool." I nodded.

She raised her eyebrow but nodded with me.

"Okay then. Well, I'm about to open up. I'll see you later?" She asked.

"Yeah, cool." I said.

She gave me a quick kiss then walked away. I turned on my heel and got back in my car. As soon as I pulled away, my phone began ringing. 

"Hello?" I said.

"Hi, son." A voice said.

"Hey, Dad." I said.

"I hear you have a girlfriend." He said.

"Always so blunt, to the point." I chuckled.

"I don't beat around the bush." He laughed. "When will I get to meet her?"

"She just had to go through meeting Mom." I hissed.

"Your mother is...brutal." My dad said. "I'll be much nicer."

"I'll set it up, Dad." I said.

"Good. Love you, son." He said.

"Love you too. Bye." I said.

We hung up as I pulled into the lot for work. I needed to get this day over so I could get back to my girl. I grabbed my bag out the passenger seat and walked into the building.