Chapter 39

STOP!!!! If you didn't read the chapter that I posted yesterday go to Chapter 38 and please read it or you will be very confused lol

Hey guys, here is the next chapter. Please vote and comment and it's extremely important you read the author's note at the end, even though it pretty long, trust me, you will want to read it after this chapter.

Thank you for reading and here it is.

BTW this is NOT the last chapter, there will be another one and then an epilogue. So stick around :)

And please be careful with spoliers in the comments!

         As I drove to the hospital as much as I felt the pain and concern of what was going to happen, at the same time, it didn’t feel like I was the one feelings those things. I guess you could say it was an outer body experience or maybe even dreamlike but it was more than that. I knew it was happening to me but it was so different than what would normally happen in my everyday life that I thought maybe it was a trick. The people I love didn’t get hurt. Sure, they got sick or told me that they have an illness but then everything turns out fine in the end and life goes on as it usually did.

            Then I realized that this is happening. Things can change in a snap and they can be permanent or a temporary look at reality. And that’s what it was. But it all happened so fast. One minute I was at home eating breakfast, the next I was bursting into the hospital barely keeping tears back. In a daze I followed the signs to the E.R. and hastily made my way there without actually straight out running.  When I reached the waiting area I immediately started to search for the man who called me. Thinking back to the call and how worried and scared his voice sounded made me so anxious that I was afraid that I was going to pass out. Locating his blonde hair and blue eyes I ran over to him surprised to see that after not talking to him in so long I wasn’t hesitant to see him. The pain of what happened didn’t even exist as I saw the agonized look on his face. Only the pain of why I was here.

            There were no tears in his eyes but they were blood-shot and he was sniffling. Without any inquiries I wrapped my arms around him and pulled him close to me, needing the comfort as much as he did. We stood there together in embrace for a while and building my strength I stepped away and wiped my eyes. Looking up at him I asked the only logical thing.

            “What happened?” It came out quivering but I didn’t care.

            He put his arm around me and sat me down in a chair next to him. Gathering himself he inhaled and exhaled a few times and took my hand.

            “S-she was driving here actually. Our dad had a stroke a few days ago and he got sent here to get better. We have been visiting him every day but it’s been hard on her.”

            So that’s why I haven’t heard from her in a while. She was dealing with her father and she was too busy to notice I was gone.

            “She hasn’t been sleeping as much because she has been so worried about him. I don’t think she even slept at all last night. I tried to get her to stay home today and catch up on more rest but she insisted that she had to see him as soon as visiting hours opened. The police said she fell asleep at the wheel.” He paused with a pained look on his face. “I drove past the accident on my way here. Ruth, the car was totaled.”

            He looked like he was about to cry and I knew I wouldn’t be able to see that so I distracted him with the first thing that popped into my mind. Which, was really stupid of me.