chapter 21

SOOOO many new fans! Thanks for fanning! I am now 10 on the hot list which is astounding. :D I am so happy you don't even know. Some people are trying to get me to tell them what Les' secret is...no I am not telling you! Haha sorry, I didn't even tell my best friends. You have to wait! This is a quick update, I was very busy this weekend because of Halloween but I had so much fun. While I was writing this chapter I couldn't help but laugh and smile, I know I am the one writing it so that might seem lame...but I hope you like it.(wow. My thoughts are all over the place here.)

Nate pulled up to a small corner shop that was a sickly shade of pastel pink. The sign hanging above the tiny building said Joanna's Ice Cream Shoppe. I was slightly confused to as why we were getting ice cream, especially because it was the middle of November and it was almost freezing. I looked over to Nate who was watching me with a hopeful glint in his eyes. There was a slight smile on his lips that caused two faint dimples to indent his cheeks. In spite of my depressed feelings I still smiled at him. I knew he was trying very hard to get me to stop thinking about it, for which I would always be grateful.

"Nate, I appreciate you getting me out of there, but what are we doing here? It's almost winter; it's too cold for ice cream!" I exclaimed.

He chuckled a little, "I said we had a rain check to fill."

I stared at him, not understanding what he was talking about. Rain check? What rain check did we have to fill? His smile faded a little and started to get out of the car. I scratched my head and opened the door and got out of the car. I was concentrating, trying to remember what he was talking about. Then it hit me. The first day we met we had the holding your breath contest. He had cheated and I was upset about it so he said he would make it up to me by taking us to get ice cream. I remember that I wasn't in the mood for ice cream that day so he said that we would take a rain check. I can't believe he remembered that! I also can't believe that he would still want to fulfill it. Most guys would pretend to forget, especially when the girl didn't remember.

I jumped, excited that I figured out what he was talking about. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that Nate walked around the car to come stand next to me. So when I jumped up I accidently smacked him in the face. Everything seemed to happen in slow motion. I turned to see him holding his jaw with one hand and his deep blue eyes wide with shock. Automatically my hands went to my mouth and guilt washed through me.

"Oh. My. God! Nate! Gosh. I am so sorry. I didn't see you." I shouted trying to apologize as fast as I could.

I can't believe I just hit him! I was so embarrassed. He took me here to get ice cream and I repay him by hitting him. A hysterical laughter pulled me out of my guilt-ridden thoughts and I looked up to see Nate clutching his stomach and his face contorted like he couldn't breathe. My shoulders relaxed and I slowly pulled my hands away from my face. I watched him and found myself smiling at him. People around us were starting to stare but I doubt that Nate noticed because his laughter didn't die down for about five minutes. I just stood there waiting for him to stop and when he did the first thing I asked him was if he was alright. Immediately he started to laugh again. I rolled my eyes at him. It wasn't that funny. If anyone should be laughing, it should be me. He was the one with the hilarious expression when I hit him.

"Are you done?" I asked trying to sound polite, which I knew was in vain because I was annoyed.

"You...should have...seen...your face!" He blurted out through deep breaths.

I crossed my arms across my chest and stared at him as he got his breathing under control. When he was able to stand up straight, I tried asking if he was

okay again.

"Yeah, I'm good. You just surprised me. Why did you jump like that anyway?" He asked while we went to go get in line.