chapter 22

Hey thanks to all the new fans :) I hope you like this next chapter, I don't know if it is too good but I tried my best to convey the right amount of emotion. I would really like some criticism on this particular chapter so I can go back and make it better :) Thanks for reading! Comment and Vote

As soon as I walked through the door Renee ran up to me and started to yell.

"Ruth! Where the hell have you been? It's almost five and I haven't heard from you at all! I called you about twenty times, even Les tried to call." She freaked.

I put on a sweet apologetic face, "I am so sorry. I went to get ice cream with a friend and I guess we didn't notice the time." I paused and pulled my phone out of my pocket. I flipped it open to see that it was dead.

"Oh, my phone is dead. That's why I didn't hear you call. I'm really sorry." I gave her my puppy dog eyes and her face softened a little.

"Alright, but next time let someone know where you are. Les came over today all worried because he didn't see you after school. He was waiting here for about three hours for you. You should go call him and let him know you are alright." She told me.

I stood there dumfounded; Les came over here because he was worried about me? Shouldn't he have been with his little girlfriend? I made a face of disgust, which Renee caught.

"What happened?" She asked leading me to the living room.

"Nothing happened." I said sullenly as I sat down and crossed my arms.

I didn't want to think or talk about Les. I had spent time with Nate and had gotten my mind off of him...but now that I was home away from Nate, all my feelings about Les came back full force.  For some reason I was really angry with Les. This whole situation has got me confused and Les isn't making it any easier. I love him, he doesn't love me back. He has a secret, but he won't tell me. He talks to the brunette and he gets mad when I talk to Nate. How much weirder can this get? I don't know what to do anymore. If he really doesn't love me, which I'm not sure is true, then I should stop hanging around him so I can be happier. Though, he is going through something right now and needs me and I can't leave him. I think I just need to clear my thoughts and keep away from Les for a little while.

"Obviously something happened. You got a disgusted look on your face when I mentioned Les and you didn't run to the phone to call him." She said looking at me.

"Nothing happened, I just think that I am going to take your advice and distance myself from him for awhile." I told her like it wasn't that big of a deal, though inside I couldn't imagine not talking to him for even a day.

"Why?" She asked with clear skepticism in her voice.

"I need to figure out some things and Les isn't making anything easy." I responded.

Before Renee could say something else, the phone cut her off and I quickly got up to answer, happy that I could get away from her.

I got to the kitchen and answered the phone, "Hello?"

"Ruth! Finally, where have you been? "Les asked sounding relieved and angry at the same time.

My lips slipped into a frown, "Why do you care?"

That came out a littler harsher than I meant.

He was silent for a second, "W-what?" He asked sounding hurt.

I sighed, "Sorry. I was out with a friend."

"Oh. I didn't see you after school." Was all he said.