Chapter 14 - The Nightmare Returns

Before December 31st

EMMA

"Emma!" The voice echoes in the walls of my mind. Is it Blaze? Aiden? Something tells me the masculine voice is familiar, but I can't quite figure out who it is. "Emma, wake up!" I'm shaken, back and forth, back and forth. It must be Blaze. He's probably going to kick me now, or near strangle me, like he did before. "Emma!"

I sit up, gasping. Carpenter is in front of me, on my bed. It's so dark I can barely see his face- only his eyes gleam a light ocean colour in the blackness. Slowly, my vision adjusts and my breathing comes more regularly.

"Another nightmare?" Carpenter asks. "You were screaming bloody murder."

I nod, wiping sweat from my forehead. I'm still trembling a bit. Carpenter's tense expression softens and he draws me to his chest. "It's fine now," he says. "You can go back to sleep."

My brother's room is the closest to mine, it's no wonder he heard my howling. I'm thankful for the warmth and comfort that he is as I lean into him, sighing. After a while my eyes droop shut, and Carpenter hums to soothe me.

"Thanks, Carp," I murmur, before I feel myself fade away.

When I wake up in the warm rays of light streaming through from my bedroom window, I realize with a start what today is. Saturday. But I guess it's not really what today is that's bothering me, it's tomorrow.

Tomorrow, Blaze is coming back.

I'm moving in at Crystie's today. Mom told me she's not entirely sure how long Blaze will have to stay, but it's probably going to be at least three weeks, maybe more.

I stretch, trying to put all thoughts of Blaze Brooke out of my mind as I get up from my bed. I almost step on Carpenter when I do. He's lying on his side on the floor, snoring softly with his head on his pillow and my extra comforter covering him. He must have stayed in case I had another nightmare.

Oh, Carp. He's a real softie inside even though he tries not to let it show. I'm so grateful for him.

I step over him and tiptoe to the bathroom to get changed. When I get back he's awake, sitting up and rubbing his bleary eyes.

"Morning," he slurs. I stop myself from giggling at his loud yawn and obvious sleepiness. He never has been a morning person.

"Good morning," I say cheerfully. Apparently too cheerfully, because he raises a brow cynically.

"You sure you're ready for all this?" he croaks. By all this, I know he means me moving out and Blaze coming back.

"Yeah." I force a smile. "What about you? You're the one who's going to have to live in the same house as him for now."

He frowns a little. "I'll be fine. I'll be keeping an eye out for Patty and Eddie. He might get one of them in trouble or hurt if I don't. I can't trust Blaze, not at all."

"I know." Concern etches itself into his face at the two words I whisper, and I know he's remembering all that happened.

"We'll see each other at school and at church," he says, changing the subject for me.

I smile genuinely this time. "Never thought I'd say this, but I'll actually be looking forward to seeing you." He tosses his pillow at me and I dodge it. "I'm too fast for you." I stick out my tongue and run out of the room, with him chasing after me, clumsily because he's still sleepy.

~ ~ ~

My phone beeps while I'm busy packing up my clothes. It's Aiden, he sent through the photo he took of me on Monday when we went to McDonalds.