Chapter 16 - A Threat and a Mystery

Before December 31st

EMMA

I look at him and can't believe this is the same Blaze we adored when we were kids. Patty loved him. To hear him talk about her like this makes me sick to my stomach. My legs wobble and I feel desperate. I know exactly what he's implying, and I will not allow my sister to be at the mercy of Blaze's hands.

I take a sharp breath when he shakes me again. And then, swiftly, his grip is pulled off me and he's thrown back by someone else.

Carpenter.

My brother throws a punch at Blaze in a rage, but Blaze has more experience when it comes to this sort of thing and jabs back skilfully.

"Hey!" I scream, startling even myself at how high-pitched I sound.

Blaze stops first, and releases the hold he had on Carpenter's shirt. "Tell him, Em," he grins in a sickly way, his handsome face ruined by the ugly glint in his eye.

I feel shaky as I lie to Carpenter. "There's no problem here, Carp. Blaze and I were just...chatting. All is fine, really."

He scowls darkly at Blaze. "I don't think I believe that."

"Well, it's true." I assure him.

Blaze's eyes gleam at me with approval. He has me under his thumb. I step over on weak legs to stand next to Carp and give him a hug from the side. He looks confused.

"Are you sure, Emma?"

"Yes. Don't worry, I'm fine." I insist, smiling at my brother, trying to act like everything is okay.

Carpenter doesn't look fully convinced. He cuts his eyes at Blaze. "Stay far away from her in the future, or else I'm going straight to the authorities, after I beat you black and blue."

"Wow, I'm scared. Very scared." Sarcasm drips from Blaze's voice. "You heard the little lady. She said there are no worries, hakuna matata. And it's good to see you again too, buddy."

"I. Am. Not. Your. Buddy." Carpenter seethes, enunciating each word slowly.

I interrupt, seeing the storm in Carpenter's face. "It's okay. Okay? Just let Blaze take his stuff inside."

I hear the sound of Aiden's blue Jeep behind me. He's finally here. "I'll go now," I tell Carpenter. I know I wanted Aiden to meet everyone, but I can't stay any longer, not while he is here. "Bye, Carp." I pull him into another quick hug, then rush over to pick up my bags and make it to the Jeep before Aiden can get out.

I jump into the passenger's seat, slamming the door.

"Hey, blondie," Aiden greets me. "What's got you in a huff?"

"Nothing," I say, quickly, and try to replace my frown with a calm expression. But I can't help feeling slightly nauseous over what just happened. My sister is going to be staying in the same house as Blaze. It makes my stomach flip.

Aiden raises a brow. "Okay. And who's that?" he jerks his head in the direction of Blaze, who is unpacking his trunk.

"He's...our guest. Let's go, Aiden." I'm unable to stop the sense of urgency from entering my voice.

He gives me a worried glance, but starts the engine. "Sure."

~ ~ ~

AIDEN

From the way she's chewing her lip and barely listening to anything I'm saying, I know something is up with Emma. It's obvious she doesn't want to tell me though, so I let it go.