Chapter 19 - Questions

Before December 31st

CLEO

Aiden is late. I don't mind, though. I'm thoroughly enjoying reading Jane Eyre in the quietness of the library.

As I turn the page to chapter fourteen, a loud slam makes me drop the book. My head snaps up and I find myself looking at Blaze Brooke.

Not someone I want to see.

"How's school going, Cleopatra?" He bangs the table with his palms again just to make me jump.

Oh, I'd love to tell him to go away. To jump off a cliff. But I make myself stay civil. "Fine."

"Now, Queen Cleo, that's not much of an answer." I flinch at the old nickname. I haven't heard that since he left town.

He moves closer, and I watch him warily. "Since when do you spend time in a library?" I ask, trying to stall him.

"I'm full of surprises," he says, in a low tone.

Just then a phone rings. Blaze fumbles to retrieve it from his pocket and his expression changes after he answers it. Obviously, he doesn't like what he's hearing.
He leaves as quickly as he came, holding the phone to his ear as he walks out. He shoots me a look that I read as to be continued before he does, but if he thinks he can scare me, he's wrong. I don't need to be afraid.

But I still send a quick prayer of thanks for the coincidental phone call.

Aiden enters soon after, looking a bit peeved. "Sorry I'm late," he says, as he sits down next to me.

"No problem."

"Do you know him?" he asks, and nods his head in the direction Blaze just went. They must have bumped into each other.

"Blaze? Yeah, I do." I pick up my bible and start flipping through the pages, hoping he'll leave it.

"How?"

"It's complicated," I smile apologetically, albeit tightly. This story is one I should leave for Emma to tell.

He frowns but doesn't press the matter.

~ ~ ~

AIDEN

So both Cleo and Emma know Blaze. Neither of them seem very fond of him at any rate.
But my focus is returned to what I came here to do...ask questions, not about Blaze, but about Jesus.

Cleo already has her bible open. I peer at the page. The heading says 'The Gospel According to John'.

"So," Cleo starts. I notice she sounds a little nervous. "I'm normally the one being taught, at church and even at home, meaning I'm not used to trying to teach someone else. But I'll do my best."

I offer a nod. She looks a little flushed, but excited. "I appreciate it," I tell her.

She smiles. "If I'm honest, I'm not sure where to start. What do you want to know?"

I don't even have to think about my answer. "I want to know who Jesus is."

Cleo takes a breath. "I think...I think you'll only get to truly know Him by approaching Him yourself. He wants a personal relationship with you, Aiden. But what I am able to do is point you in the right direction, using this," she indicates the bible by tapping it lightly. "And I brought you one that you can study in your own time as well. I think you should start with John." She pulls out a book with a faded blue cover from her bag.