8. Dreams

What is a dream?

A mere figment of our imagination? A way for our subconscious to tell you something you don't know?

Or is it a way to show you forgotten memories?

When I woke up an hour or so later, I was shocked. I felt like a bitch. The only words I could utter after witnessing my forgotten past were: "I'm sorry"

Why?

I'll tell you why.

~Flashback~

...eleven years ago...

"Mommy? When will I meet Daddy?" five-year old (y/n) said.

"Soon, my dear. In fact, he wanted to meet you today!" (mother's name~ M/n) said.

"*gasp* Really?!" (y/n) said

"Yes. C'mon, let's go find him!"

(y/n) was jumping excitedly around her mother, cheering and singing while they made their way to the edge of the forest. Her mother could hear static, but it didn't seem to bother little (y/n).

"Slender!" her mother exclaimed and ran to the faceless being, giving him a tight hug.

"It's good to see you too, (M/n)" the being said.

"Mommy, who's that?"

"It's your father, (y/n)! Come say hi!" (M/n) said enthusiastically.

"Hello, little (y/n)."

"H-hi, daddy." she said, hugging his leg, because she's too short.

"She reminds me of Splendor. He was short when we were young as well."

"Daddy! Want to see my pictures? Look! I want to show you my room, too!"

The being followed the little girl into her small home. Her drawings, ones she drew since she was two, three in total, were of her father. With words scrawled over it.

"Mommy said you'll always watch me and keep me safe, but you don't have eyes, so I drew this one! Every year, on my birthday, I would draw a picture for daddy!"

"That's a very pretty picture, little (y/n)"

~ Every year, her father would visit. Frequently, actually. He'd visit at least once a week. He once saved her from the Rake, but it was unnecessary, for the girl befriended it.

They would play games, draw, tell stories. (y/n) loved her father, but every time he was gone, she would forget. Slender had that affect on people. It's both a gift and a curse. He has no control over what humans remember unless he has something specific he wants forgotten. 

Until the year (y/n)'s mother died~

~ seven years from now, 2009~

(Y/n), now nine years old, just finished her eighth picture, which was just a big sketch of Slender.  She hard a loud cracking sound and scream from outside, which sounded way too much like her mother. She rushed outside and surveyed the scene. Her mother was buried beneath a large tree, which had fallen over.

"MOM!" she shrieked and ran over. There was a large puddle of blood and tissue surrounding the tree, where her mother had been. Crushed.

It was too late.

The little girl sobbed and ran inside the house, the scene too gruesome for such a young girl. Sobbing, she spotted the picture of her father, and scrawled the word 'no' over and over on the sides of the pictures.

The being appeared behind her.

"(y/n), what's wrong?"

"M-mom..."