who i am

Its more of a statement really

It was once a question.

It came with new schools and new friends. I read it on the black and white pieces of paper, among new friends in stiff rooms.

I remember when life was still innocent and beautiful, when what excited me most was finding out what I had for lunch that day. And what upset me were things like dried-up markers because people didn't put the caps back on.

When life was like that, we might have had a blank square next to the question to draw our answer,

I am still drawing my answer, but with different tools. I have given up my crayons for love, colored pencils for friendships, my pencils for thoughtfulness, and my pens for ignorance.

That question.

Who are you?

I didn't know then. I don't know if I even know now. But I know I like my answer now. Maybe I'll get partial credit.

Who I am. I am a girl, who loves much too easily, lives for herself and not for anyone else. I get jealous easy and mask that jealousy with flaws of others that make me feel better about myself. I know I am wrong in this. I am a girl who is changing.

And with change comes abrupt endings. One chapters finishes, another starts. One book ends and returns to your library of a life. And you check out another.

And with change comes vast new beginnings. Full of unanswerable questions. Maybe they ask us these questions we surely do not know, in hopes that said questions linger in our minds. Until we can come up with an answer we are comfortable with. Or one that is true.

This is my new start. I have let go of grudges, strife, and sorrow.
I look forward to the future, and new questions that it will bring.