4.

Barbra's POV: 9th of April 1950

I woke up and got in the shower. I know I have to wash my hair because I've been playing a lot of ball lately and all the sweat and blurgh. After washing my hair with some watermelon and strawberry shampoo, I got out of the shower and dried it with a blow dryer.
"Barbie your dress is ready." My mom said hanging it on my bedroom door. I took the dress off of its hanger (dress above). I smiled at it, for it was a real pretty dress. The flowery design just set something off inside me.
My mother set down a pair of red high heels to finish the look. If she thinks I'm wearing these she sadly mistaken.
"Ma, I can't wear these." I told her dumping the ankle breakers on the table.
"Why the hell not?"
"I can't even walk in these."
"All the other girls your age will be wearing them."
"I'm not like other girls my age."
"I don't know what to do with you Barbra."
I went upstairs and put on my red chucks (converse) and laced them up as ladylike as I could.
"Darling you look lovely." My dad complimented me while walking down the stairs.
"Thanks dad." I said looking up at him.
"Okay. Barbie you get the jam tarts." My mom ordered.
We got in the car and drove off.
Once we had got to the church. My dad got out of the car and opened the door for my mom who was holding a tray of jam tarts. I was about to open the car door when someone opened it for me.
It was Yeah-Yeah. I said hello and then went inside with him. As I walked up the stairs some other girls with very pretty dress began to stare at me. I looked down at my shoes and back at theirs. My mom was right. They were all wearing high heels to match their dresses.
Yeah-Yeah's parents and my parents started talking. Both our parents are Italian that's how they became good friends. Ya know how adults tend to gravitate to those like them, kinda like elephants. We walked about and found a place to sit. Not long after that. My mom and dad came to sit down.
"Haha you looks so weird in a dress." Yeah-Yeah said laughing and poking me.
"Shut up Yeah-Yeah." I replied hitting him in the shoulder. We stood up to sing the first hymn.
I looked to the side to see Benny smiling at me.
After singing the first hymn, the pastor yapped on about some stuff that I don't even think my parents understood. But each time I could always catch Benny gazing at me.
He was almost so cute to handle.
"Stop pervin' a dish." Yeah-Yeah hissed.
Yeah-Yeah's mom smacked him over the head then said.
"Stai tranquillo." Which means keep quiet. I couldn't help but snicker.
My mom also gave me a pinch for laughing at the expense of Yeah-Yeah.
Soon the congregation was dismissed to have some afternoon tea.
"You look stupid." I remarked at Yeah- Yeah. Someone placed their hands on my shoulders.
"I totally agree." I heard Benny say. I turned around to face him. Yeah-Yeah gagged then walked away.
"You look amazing."
"Thanks. I'm not too keen on this dress though." I said. He took my hand and spun me around.
"You look gorgeous." He complimented.
"Thanks. You clean up nice too."
"This dress shirt is killing me. Literally." He said pretending to choke.
I chuckled.
"Hey you two." Benny's mom greeted us.
"Hey Mrs Rodriguez." I greeted.
"Honey. I told you. You can call me Elaina." She said putting a hand on my shoulder.
"Will do." I agreed.
"So I see you two are getting along quite nicely." She commented pointing to our still interlocked hands. I dropped Benny's hand quicker than a hot potato.
"Glad you two are having fun. I'm gonna go and talk to Mia (Yeah-Yeah's mom)." She said kissing Benny on the head and walking away.
"No you ask her."
I could some whispering. I turned around to see a group of girls with poofy dresses and high heels to match.
"May I help you?" I asked smiling.
"Umm why are you wearing sneakers and not our shoes."
I looked down and shuffled my feet.
"That's because I refuse to kill my feet to make a fashion statement."
Benny laughed and walked away.
"Doesn't it bring out your inner princess?" A girl with bleach blonde hair asked me.
"No because I don't have one. Ladies, I will admit, you look beautiful, probably way more beautiful than me. But the way I choose to dress is my choice. I like being comfortable, you like being beautiful. Let's just accept our differences and move on."
"So you're friends with Benny Rodriguez?" A girl with red hair said.
I nodded as the girls exchanged looks.
"What?"
"Can't you see?" The girl with bleach blonde hair asked.
"See what?"
"Benny's totally got the hots for you." She said.
"Lucy's telling the truth." The girl with red hair said.
"What makes you think that?" I asked.
"Haven't you seen the way he looks at you?" Lucy said dreamily.
"Or the way he acts around you?" Ruby said (the red head)
"I don't really focus on that type of stuff." I replied.
"Are you kidding?!" Yeah-Yeah's sister, Ally said.
"How can't you see it?!"
"Because I try not to think about what others think." I lied.
"What are you doing after this?" Lucy asked me flipping her hair across her shoulders.
"She's playing baseball." Benny said stepping infront of me. They all exchanged looks and squealed.
"Move out the way." I said shoving him. He laughed but didn't move an inch. I put my back against him and pushed. No use he didn't budge.
"If you're trying to steal away Barbie. You can forget it." Yeah-Yeah said.
"Shut up Alan." Ally snared
"Not by your orders knuckle brain." Yeah-Yeah replied. Benny put his arms under mine and dragged me away.
I couldn't breathe between my laughter. I heard that Benny had stopped laughing. I looked up to see my dad.
"Oh hi dad."
"Hello Barbra, is this Benny?"
"Yes-uh- I mean, yes sir. Benjamin Franklin Rodriguez." He stuttered nervously.
"Relax." I whispered to him.
"Well Benny, it's awful nice to finally meet you. I've heard so many great things about you from Barbra."
"Its a pleasure to make your acquaintance sir."
"Please call me Barry, listen kid, I hear you're into Baseball?"
"Baseball is like oxygen to me."
"Well how about one of these days before school starts up, I, uh, take you out to a game."
Benny was in shock. His mouth hung open.
"Thank you so much Mr- I'm mean Barry."
"I like your style kid." My dad said slapping his back and then walking away.
"He likes me!" Benny said
"Well, a lot of people do."
"Your dad is neat!" He exclaimed.
"Celebratory handshake?"
"Couldn't have thought of a better time."
We did our pretty cool handshake.
"You two are just cute enough to eat." My mom said approaching us with a camera around her neck.
"What's with the camera Ma?"
"Well, I have that photography assignment due in for work in two days and I thought I would bring my camera out if I saw something I liked. And great news, I've just seen it." She said winking. She can't wink to save her life or mine.
"We'd be happy to help out with your assignment Francesca." Benny offered smiled. I exchange a deathly glare with him but he just exchanged it for a smile.
"Really? You're really just the bee's knees." My mother exclaimed.
"My pleasure Ms Rossi. My mom took a couple of candid shots (ones were we were just minding our own business)
"Ok, grab each other's opposite hand, like you would a handshake then pull back and try lean back with out falling over."
We did as she said. I couldn't wait to see how these photos were gonna come out. My mom's an amazing photographer. She has been for 23 years.
"You guys look amazing. Benny do you mind if she jumps on your back for a short while."
"Of course no sweat." Benny said bending his knees. I jumped on his back and he looked back at me.
Poses to positions things changed.
"Okay now stand next to him."
"Ok now Benny stand behind her."
"But stick your hand out."
"Smile."
"Keeping looking at each other."
"Okay now give him a hug."
Benny and I bro hugged because it was the only hug we knew.
"What was that?"
"A hug." I answered.
"No that was a baseball hug. I mean a real hug like you mean it." My mom explained putting her eye in the lens.
Benny pulled me in for a hug and I hugged back. I pulled away and looked up at him. Into his beautiful hazel eyes.
"Okay I think I've got all I need and more thanks guys." My mom said.
"No problem." We chorused.
"You're so short." He said throwing an arm over me.
"Shut up Rodriguez."
"You love the sound of my voice too much."
"You love the sound of your voice too much."
"I can't stand you."
"Then take a seat."
"Your dad jokes make me like you."
"They're the best dad jokes one could come across."
"You're one of the best people one could come across."