15.

Barbra's POV: 19th of May 1965
Benny wasn't at the sandlot today. I'm kinda worried. He's been really quiet the past 2 days and it's freaking me out.
I knocked on the door, it was pouring down rain but realised that Benny's mom is at work. I pressed on the door handle and opened the door.
I heard a loud smash. I held a firm grip on my baseball, if anything was to happen...I'd be safe.
"Benny?" I called out. I heard another smash. What's going on?!
I walked out to the back yard. There Benny was taking shots at glasses. But not regular playing shots, angry shots. As if the glass represented someone who had done something to him.
I didn't know what to do except watch.
He was muttering something and I looked closely to see that his cheeks were glistening... tears? Benny was crying? I've never seen him cry a day in my life.
He had no run out of glasses but he was still swinging.
"Benny. Stop."
Nothing
"Benny stop now!"
Nothing. He was crying full on now.
Throwing my bat down, I ran over to him trying not to get in his way, because when you're angry you can do anything.
I grabbed the bat off him and threw it down. He was shaking. I grabbed both of his hands.
"Let go!" He said
"Calm down."
"I said let go."
"I'll let go the second you calm down."
He tried to fight me for a second.
"Stop it and calm down!"
He stopped for a second. Like he had run out of energy. But then his shallow breathes turned into crying. Not just tears but real crying. I pulled him into a tight hug. Whatever was wrong it had to be something big.
"What's going on?" I said not letting go. He didn't answer for a while. I suddenly remember Benny once saying "I never cry. Only if someone has passed away." I don't know how I knew but I had a feeling.
We walked inside and upstairs to his room. We both sat on his bed.
"My dad." He finally choked out wiping his tears with his shirt.
"Benny... I'm so sorry."
"About what? The fact that he's dead or that the person whose responsible is sitting home skulling down another beer right as we speak?"
I kept quiet and waited for Benny to continue.
"He was coming back from buying my mom a birthday present. It was around 10:00 at night. He was coming home from being at work all day... and out of nerves my mom called him before he left work, and he said 'It's a surprise. You'll see when I come home, I love you.' He never came home. Some idiot thought that a few beers were worth it. Head on collision. We've been trying the case for 2 years now." He finished, sniffing.
"That's so messed up." I whispered.
"Barbra. I miss him so much." He choked out.
"I'm here for you."
He shrugged while looking straight at the floor.
"I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to lose your dad. You shouldn't have to feel strong for anyone but yourself. And as for that douche bag who did it... I promise if I ever find him, I promise, that he will go through hell and back, and that still won't make up for what he did. Your dad loved you, and you loved him. Try and remember that. They'll be at time where you'll see him again. I can't say when... but if what Pastor John says its true, it's pretty nice up there." I said looking up.
"Thanks." He croaked.
"When does your mom come back?"
"Sometime around 11:30 at night."
"Do you want me to spend the night?"
"Would you?"
"Sure, let me call my mom."
Phone call// B= Babe M=mom
B: Hey mom
M: where are you
B: at Benny's
M: you had us worried sick
B: I have an excuse
M: what could possibly-
B: he needs me... or someone at least
M: what are you talking about
B: mom Benny doesn't have a dad anymore. Today is the death anniversary
M: oh... I'm so sorry. I should probably call Elaina.
B: I might spend the night.
M: that's okay. I'm just feeling really sorry for 'em. They're the most bubbly son and mother I know
B: yeah same. Bye mom
M: Barb. I love you. Bye
I put down the house phone and walked into Benny's room. He looked so upset, cuddling a pillow.
"Benny..." I sighed, spooning him.
"Thanks."
I just kept hugging him.
"You're really amazing at this girlfriend thing." He croaked.
"I love you Benny. I mean it." I whispered. I did something that I hardly ever did to Benny and that was kiss him.
We stayed in that position for what felt like forever. My eyes began to feel heavy, I felt Benny's breathing get heavier which meant he was sleeping. I fell asleep after.