14.

Barbra's POV: 15th of May '65
I shook off my nerves and breathed in. I was waiting in the wings ready to be called up by Mrs Croxon.
"And now presenting the nominees."
I walked on behind Keith. It was just three of us. Keith, Jessica and I.
"Now, as you all know these 3 have been trying their best to win your votes to help make the school a better place. But they're can be only one Student Body Rep. Coming in third with 90 votes out of 300, Keith Shaw." Mrs Crozon announced. The crowd gave a half hearted applause and Keith left the stage.
"And the Student Body Representative for 1965 by 37 votes is... Barbra G Ruth." Mrs Croxon.
I was numb, I had actually done it.
Jessica pushed past me and stomped off stage, I couldn't help but smile.
I accepted my badge and my certificates and all that stuff and went off into the crowd.
I was met by welcoming arms. Ruby hugged me very tight.
"I knew you could do it Babs." She said smiling.
"So what's your first step as student body rep?" Lucy asked me with her huge brown eyes.
"Uh, well. I read the handbook and I don't have any actual power until the meeting which is Wednesday." I explained.
"At least you can leave on a high." Ham said.
"Are you coming to the sandlot this afternoon or is there too many presidential duties to be done." Squints asked me.
"Yeah, I'll be there after I finish my homework." I said laughing.
I walked home alone that day, happy. I had done something with my friends. I couldn't have done this without them.
"It's easy to win when you cheat." A voice from behind me said. I closed my eyes, inhaled then exhaled.
"Have a nice day Jessica." I said smiling then walking away.