Crave

DANTE

If it wasn't for how hard Angel worked at the tasks I set for her, I would think she takes nothing seriously. She is always playing, teasing me, finding humor in every situation. Her ready laugh is like gentle sunshine that filters through me.

Her genuine affection for me shines in her aura, and it rouses a confusing, but strong reaction in me. In my dealings with humans, I have been regarded in may ways, but never anything close to what I see from Angel. I have already been bound to her by the command from Sven and in the amount of my blood I've shared. Now there is an added risk of emotional attachment, something rare and dangerous for my kind. There is very little that makes us vulnerable to an enemy, but attachments can. I must constantly remind myself of the task assigned me by Sven. I am a guardian, a protector, and a trainer. This is my role with the princess, nothing more. Her pretty visage and appealing scent should mean nothing to me. The purity of her devotion and affection should have no effect on a stony warrior's heart, but it does.

The distraction of my wayward thoughts as we practice hand to hand combat with daggers costs me. Her petite form whirls, throws a kick which I block automatically, then she lashes out lightning fast with her dominant hand, which I should be anticipating. This is a mistake she's made more than once, drawing severe criticism from me as I seek to correct her. This time her blade bites into my pectoral muscle just above the heart, creating a deep hole. She cries out in alarm, as if she were the one cut, and drops her dagger.

"Oh my god!" she exclaims, her tiny hands flying up to cover her mouth. Actual tears spring to her eyes. "Dante! I'm so sorry!"

I scowl at her. There is no reason for her to be sorry. This is the point of all our training. She needs to be able to keep pace with the angelic or the enhanced. She must train beyond the human DNA in her that renders her vulnerable. She mistakes my scowl for annoyance at being cut, but the wound is already healed. She gasps as she watches the blood disappear into the cut while the skin seals over as if the mark were never there.

"Wow!" she gives an amazed chuckle as she blinks away the tears that sparkle from her luxurious eyelashes. "I thought my healing ability was amazing, but that is just... like magic!"

As with any time I'm wounded and heal, hunger rises in me. The desire to feed is a natural instinct when blood is shed, even such a small amount. For a moment I allow myself to be distracted again as Angel steps closer to inspect the now non-existent wound. Her gentle fingers probe the spot, and her aura, filled with concern and affection entices me. The subtle feminine pheromones she releases draw out my fangs in anticipation of tasting her. Since her rescue from the crash, I have coveted her blood above any other. Being continually with her only enhances the craving, and as hunger rises, desire slams through me. I almost draw her to me, bend my mouth to her neck, touch my lips to her tender skin, and swirl my tongue across her pulse to savor her sweet essence.

The urgency of my desire alarms me, and I pull away from her before I give in, but not before she's spotted my fangs. Its the first time they've been visible to her. I scowl prohibitively as she regards me with fascination, looking like she wants to reach out and feel the sharpness of my teeth next. I swear the severity of my look is the only thing that keeps her from approaching me. My princess has a distinct lack of fear for me, and it troubles me that if I'm not careful I will take advantage of all she has to offer, even though it's forbidden to me. Even now her sweet essences taunts me, promising overwhelming satisfaction. I have never wanted something so fiercely, and I have to fist my hands to keep from reaching out to pull her to me.

"We're done for today," I growl roughly, barely able to speak around the haze of lust. "I'm going on patrol."

She just nods as she considers me. There is wetness shimmering in her amethyst eyes, and although she turns away to hide this from me, she isn't quick enough. It pierces me to cause her pain, but there is no help for it. I stride away from her to clear my senses and refocus my thoughts.

Later, as she sleeps I hunt. While human blood is preferable, large animals can suffice to take the edge away from the hunger. I catch and drain a deer, then carry its carcass back to camp where I proceed to carve it up and cook it. By the time my princess rises at sundown the pelt has been thoroughly cleaned and I'm in the process of stretching it between trees to dry. She throws me a curious look, but goes through her waking routine. As part of training I've assigned a series of stretches followed by battle moves for her to work through each evening as she arises.

I become aware of the sound of large wings, and then one of the Watchers appears, gliding down to land at our camp. It is Leo, the largest of the Watchers. He is a veritable giant with a head of hair like his namesake, the lion. Knowing silver eyes regard the scene. He gives me a nod of welcome and his gaze comes to rest on my princess. For her part, Angel falters slightly at the appearance of our guest, but after a quick look at my expression she continues with her routine.

I place my fist over my heart and bow my head in a respectful greeting to the elder as he circles around me, and paces the perimeter of the camp. I keep my head down, waiting to be granted permission to release my stance. My princess has halted her routine and come to stand beside me. Her curious gaze boldly takes in the ancient watcher with undisguised interest. Leo stops before us and smiles back at her in return.

"At ease soldier," he releases me from my formal show of respect. As I raise my head I notice Angel sidling closer to me. Nervous energy shimmers in her aura.

"Watcher," I nod to my elder, wondering what brought him out this far. Leo must read my thoughts because he looks directly at me and answers my unspoken question.

He sweeps an arm to the side, indicating a ridge of mountains in the distance. "My compound is within the mountain range, so you are crossing into my territory. Heading north?" he questions.

"As soon as the weather breaks," I respond, careful now to put up my defenses and monitor my thoughts.

Leo turns to Angel and I can tell he is inspecting her closely. When I addressed him by his title she froze, but she can't bring herself to look away from the ancient.

"Hello child," he addresses her. Her eyebrows shoot up in surprise to be addressed and she blinks. I can't decide if the reaction is at being noticed or being called child.

"Hello, Sir," she manages to say clearly and respectfully. Leo considers her for a few seconds, then looks back at me with an eyebrow cocked.

"You're traveling with a hybrid?" he questions. "And training her? Why?"