Leo's Crew - con't.

ANGEL

I remember Tessa as the girl Dante was speaking furtively with at Point Zero before we left the outpost. She is very beautiful, tall and has a hard look about her. She looks young, except for her eyes. They are far too calculating and aware, especially at the moment with her gaze narrowed on me. Leo didn't say what she was in his introductions, but as my senses sharpen and increase, I am more attuned to differences in those I encounter. There is something similar about her to the vibe I feel from Dante. However, the difference is Dante makes me feel safe, and Tessa puts me on alert for danger. I see her assessing me with cold objectivity and know she is not seeing an ally when she looks at me, but a rival.

Belatedly, I draw upon my ability to mask. Even though I was initially vulnerable, there is no reason I should continue to be so in a group of non-humans. They can see me, but I won't let them sense my potential. Briefly I wonder how far I could get with my ability to compel, but consider the size of the group. It could be fun to try it on them one by one, just to see the results.  I already know my efforts were wasted with Gaige.  At Point Zero I'd tried to flex my ability on him, but it had only tipped my hand and amused him.  I hope that had nothing to do with the visit here today.  As for the others, I'd start with Tessa, and compel her to go away. The idea brings a ghost of a smile to my face.

Tessa turns her attentions to Dante, drawing him to the side for more covert conversation. The casual affinity between them sparks something dark and unpleasant in me. They are far too familiar and comfortable together, and I don't like or trust it. I want to go over and listen to every word they are saying, but the twins have cornered me with a barrage of questions about what Dante and I are doing alone in the wilds together. Gaige's blunt curiosity about whether Dante and I are a romantic couple brings a fierce blush to my entire body. I can feel the heat infuse my cheeks and know they must be fire red from embarrassment. Gavin tries to do some damage control for his brother. He is much more sensitive. As the two brothers bicker over manners and etiquette, their half sister Rayne draws me away from them.

"Never mind Gaige," she sighs dramatically. "He's always over the top. I've come to see it as a defense mechanism to keep anyone from getting too close." That's not how I would interpret it. To me it seems more of a way to throw someone off balance and uncover information that might not otherwise be forthcoming.

Rayne's casual way of sharing an intimate revelation takes me by surprise, and makes me instantly wary. We've just met. She shouldn't be sharing anything about her brother with me. For all she knows, I could be the biggest threat he's ever encountered.

Orion joins us and chastises Rayne for her careless comment. "Really, Rayne. At the moment you're not any better than Gaige!"

He keeps a distance between us and looks me over curiously. Orion is tall and broad shouldered with a narrow waist and sturdy legs. He looks every bit the archer that the crossbow slung over his shoulder hints that he is. The straight hair falling just short of his shoulders is white, and his features are sharp, including piercing green eyes. I can tell I present a mystery to him that he wants answers to, but at the moment he holds any questions to himself. I feel an instant flair of respect in response.

The twins rejoin our group and apologize for poor manners. On the other side of the camp I see Leo has joined Dante and Tessa and they are engaged in what looks like a heated conversation. Tessa is glaring at the Watcher, Dante is scowling at Tessa and Leo looks thunderous. Whatever they are saying, they are keeping their voices lowered because I can't hear more than a buzz over the animated conversation from the group of young people surrounding me.

"You guys should come stay at the compound with us," Gaige is saying, drawing my attention back to the conversation around me. "Our mom lays out an awesome spread of eats, the accommodations are comfy and the training facilities are top notch!"