Curses

DANTE

Curses spill from my lips at my irresponsibility as Angel blacks out. I knew I was pushing her too hard, but the exchange with Leo left me with a sense of urgency. I've been focusing on her physical combat skills to the exclusion of the angelic ones, and yet those are the most important for her safety and protection. Her human DNA saps her stamina while using the abilities. Like any muscle, focused practice will build strength and endurance over time, but too much too soon can bring damage and injuries. I gather her tiny, fragile form into my arms and head into the underground shelter for the day.

Leo's revelation was explosive. Puzzle pieces of Angel's DNA on the maternal side fell into place, and the realization of her connections is jarring. Both Leo and Tessa knew I was withholding information from them as they talked about the reasons why the Red Woman has been making her forays west, but I don't regret using the full force of my masking ability to shadow my thoughts from them.

My princess is trembling uncontrollably, and her skin is ice cold. Her heart is sluggish as the beats gasp and stumble. The warmth from my body is no comfort to hers in this weakened state. I curse heavily some more as I realize I will have to share more of my blood to heal her. Each time my bond with her becomes stronger, and much more difficult to eradicate some day. Even knowing this I don't hesitate. My fangs spring forth, grazing my lower lip and drawing blood. Instinct leads me to press my lips against hers, my thumb gently pulling her lip down to open her mouth.

Her response is instant. Her tongue tentatively laves my wounded lip, then she sucks it into her mouth. I groan as my body decides it likes this while my mind protests over how wrong it is to enjoy it. The moment doesn't last long enough for my guilt to build. Amethyst eyes blink open. Her tiny hands reach up to cradle my face as her lips separate from mine. I watch her tongue dart out to lick the last drops of my healing elixir away. Her gaze falls to my lip, now healing over, erasing any sign of disturbance. She presses a whisper of a kiss against the disappearing wound, then closes her eyes, and turns her head away, her hands falling to her lap.

"Are you okay now?" I don't know why I whisper the question. She is still cradled in my arms and I am loathe to release her. I want to kiss her again, this one just because and with consent.

Her sigh is so deep I feel it as well as hear it. She opens her eyes and looks up at me again, licking her lips and biting them. My eyes drop to her lips as she does so. For a moment we are engaged in a gauntlet of desire, warring between what we want and what should be. The sparks and color in her aura assure me she is wanting the same thing I do. Then she blinks and looks away. She separates from me, leaving my arms to go sit across the room at a table. I follow and join her, sitting across the table from her, and fold my arms in front of me. I repeat my question, asking louder this time, "Are you okay?"

She nods, picking at the table, eyes downcast. "Yes, I feel stronger now," she sighs again and confusion ripples through her aura.

"I'm sorry if I crossed any boundaries," I offer, although I'm not sorry, not really. It was far too brief an experience. I'm only sorry that it's left me wanting more. It takes herculean effort not to get out of my seat and go to her. I want to draw her back into my arms.

She shakes her head and frowns as warm desire and discomfiture swirl in her aura. I feel like she wants to ask me why I kissed her to heal her, but something holds her back. She doesn't voice the question, and I don't volunteer an answer. Already with sharing my blood again I feel my bond to her strengthening further. It frustrates me that I'm unable to taste her essence in return, to bite, to sip and bind her to me as strongly as I am bound to her. The thought reminds me that I'm overdue for a feeding. We will have to make a foray into a nearby town soon.