Through the Gate

ANGEL

The last few minutes of approach are tense as I worry over whether I can compel my way past the entry guard. Its a small relief that the patrol soldier who singled me out is not longer standing at the shoulder of the entry guard. His rotation outside the walls must've ended because he disappeared inside the gates, along with about a dozen others. Another troop emerges in their place. This change of guard brings civilian entry to a standstill while the gates widen to allow military vehicles entry and exit.

Four vehicles out, four vehicles in. Two Humvees and two all terrain jeeps, each with three soldiers. The sun will be rising soon and I consider how its powerful rays affect the enhanced, if they are as sensitive to the light and heat as other humans or if their cocktail of genetics helps them deal with it more efficiently. This set of soldiers are dressed in lighter colors than the previous troop who patrolled the wall. Their uniforms are a blend of white, gray and pale tan camouflage. Gloves cover hands, breathing masks cover their faces, and no skin is left exposed. A square pack fit with long, shiny cylinders sits on their backs. Several tubes feed out from the cylinders, one to the face mask, and others into the uniform. My curiosity is on fire. How do I not know more about this after my years being raised with the Rebels?

Finally the line begins to move forward again, very slowly. Many who are waiting to get in are becoming restless as daybreak approaches. Both guards are still examining documents prior to allowing entry. The group that I attached myself to begins to filter through. The young woman herds the children together and they present themselves as a unit with the older woman at the gate. The guard barely glances at their documents before allowing them to pass.

I try to move to the side with the guard my sentinel soldier didn't speak to, but the churning movement of the now anxious group puts me back in line with the original guard. I focus my energies on channeling my talents, giving myself a pep talk. Compulsion is something that came easily when I discovered it, and I've had success with it in every case besides Dante. I steady my breath, keeping my eyes down as I approach the head of the line.

"Documents," barks the soldier in a bored tone. His hand stretches out to take them from me.

As I hand him my identification, the one that is flagged in the system, and raise my glowing gaze to lock with his as I do, murmuring the appropriate respectful lines I hear from the others around me. He is trapped by my eyes, hesitating with his hand still outstretched, my square of paper inside it.

"I'd like entry to the city," I say softly in a soothing tone. He frowns at me.

"Everybody wants entry," he growls back. "That's why you're in this godforsaken line."

The compulsion doesn't seem like it's going to work. For a long moment the soldier stares at me, then he slowly blinks as he looks down at the square of paper held out for his inspection. I wait while he frowns at the paper until I can't wait any longer.

"You'll let me pass now," I tell him in the same soothing tone.

He looks up from the ID card, his gaze locking with mine again. His face holds a deep frown as if he is confused and trying to reason out a puzzle.

"Hurry it up," someone behind us snaps. "You're taking too long! We need to get inside and find shelter."

Others around him take up the distressed chorus, distracting the soldier from my compulsion. I fear I've lost him when he reaches for the radio on his shoulder. As he's about to speak into it the young girl and boy from the group appear at my side. Each takes hold of my hands. The girl smiles at the soldier, but addresses me. Her brother locks eyes with the soldier as both begin to lead me forward.

"Everything okay, sister?" the girl says sweetly. "The group is getting ahead of us. We don't want to lose them."

She reaches to snatch the paper away from the soldier as she and her brother tug on my hands, guiding me towards the entry gates. Playing along in a desperate hope that this will work, I smile brightly at the soldier.

"Thank you, sir," I tell him. His frown disappears and he waves me along just as his partner starts to walk in our direction.

"Everything okay?" his voice is deep and demanding. My soldier looks over and nods.

"No problem here, Kurt," he replies, already reaching for the identification card of the next person in line.

The pair drop my hands and skip off to catch up with their group. I see the young woman pause and turn back, making sure we all are coming before continuing on with the rest. I've no idea why they helped me, but I'm grateful. I've made it past the enemy at the gate and now I'm inside Noma Point.