Chase

EXIS

Exis:  "The girl walks by me and I realize that although I can see her I sense nothing of her

Exis: "The girl walks by me and I realize that although I can see her I sense nothing of her. Immediately I know this is wrong. She is a sweet little thing. A petite pixie with features so fine even a hardened soldier like myself needs to look twice. My nostrils flare in anticipation. With my superior senses I should be able to scent her sweetness, but there is nothing. Nor do I hear her footfalls. While she walks with a lithe grace so smooth she seems to float along like the fairy creature she is, there should be some sound, but there is only silence. I don't hear the breaths that are making her chest rise and fall, nor do I hear the rhythm of her heart beating as she skims by me so close I could reach out and wrap my giant hand around her arm. Pretty amethyst eyes rimmed with luxurious sable lashes flick up to meet mine for a fraction of a second before glancing away while she glides past me. I realize in that instant I can't feel the heat from her body either. She is cloaked! No human has that capacity.

I decide to follow her discretely, so I can determine what she's up to. I wonder how she made it through the main gates without detection, and debate stopping her to ask for her papers. I don't want her to rabbit, so I put that idea on hold.

Her cloaking provides a "dead spot" of space around her. I stay back far enough to let the crowds swallow me from her view, but track her easily by following the void she creates in trying to remain undetected. I'm head and shoulders above most people, so following her like this is no challenge. Several of my comrades pass by me, and I nod in acknowledgment at them, but don't share what I'm up to just yet. My neutral expression gives nothing away.

It's been ages since any emotion stirred in me, but this sylph has fueled my curiosity and sparked my male awareness of her femininity. Adrenaline has been my driving motivator for so long that I almost fail to recognize the flare of desire. Its so unexpected to feel anything that I don't try to eradicate it as my training and experience demand.

Her eyes meet mine again across the crowds and I think she realizes I'm following her. Momentarily she freezes in place as I admire the fineness of her smooth, pearly skin. I wonder if it feels as soft as it looks. I allow my gaze to move away from her, continuing to walk along as if I'm just passing through the area on patrol. I don't attempt to move any closer to her, or look directly at her. Instead, I keep her in my peripheral vision, noting that she is discretely tracking my movements. This one is no stranger to evasive techniques. My curiosity ramps up a bit higher, and its an internal struggle not to try to capture her directly. Its imperative now that I discover what mischief she's up to.

Our cat and mouse game continues for a while as she circles closer to Shanty Town. I surmise she is heading for the black market, which only confirms my assumptions she is up to no good. She's not going to complete her errand if she thinks I'm still following her, so I move away, and enlist help from two of my most trusted comrades.

Dirk takes over shadowing the girl briefly, but he's not as skilled as I am with covert tracking. He tails her too closely, and doesn't even try to hide the fact he's following her. The girl quickly singles him out and identifies his purpose. She pretends she doesn't notice him, but her route alters subtly. It isn't long before its obvious she's begun to back track away from Shanty Town and whatever nefarious business she had there. Again, I can only conclude it can't be anything good if she is trying to hide it from Republic enforcers.

I signal to Dirk and he switches out with Ari. My purpose now is no longer to track her, but to herd her closer to me. It was only my curiosity that kept me tracking her, but all we need to arrest her is the fact that she's an unregistered hybrid within the walls of Noma Point. Now I just need to get close enough to take her into custody. Up close I can ask her questions and take a closer look. Curiosity is a dangerous thing. Our handlers work hard to iron out any emotions an Enhanced soldier might fall prey to. We are encouraged to keep our basic needs sated at all times to prevent being susceptible to feelings. Eating, drinking, fighting and sex. Satisfy the needs of each daily before duty. Emotions are vulnerabilities for a soldier in the field. They are a weakness we can't afford. For whatever reason, this girl's presence is creating a vulnerability in me, and it must be stopped.

The three of us, Dirk, Ari and I patiently work to weave a net around the girl and tighten it. Each of us move closer to her from a different angle until she is only a few feet away from me. My hand shoots out as I reach for her, but in a blur of swift movement she darts beyond my reach. Her evasion confirms my suspicions and I give chase and the others join me.

She weaves through the crowds with focused precision, keeping low as she moves. She's obviously done this before. Her tiny stature makes her hard to track among the crowded streets so I tune in on the dead spot her cloaking creates. She may be fast, but my legs are longer and eat up more distance with every step. Now that she is on the run, other soldiers will be alerted and move to converge around her as well. Eventually we will trap her like an animal in a human cage.

The citizens of Noma Point give me an alarmed look as I come barreling through their midst, then part like a curtain in a breeze to allow me passage. The girl makes a fatal error, turning down a narrow lane that dead ends. There is no where else for her to go, and she turns to face me as I arrive first before any of the others, finally capturing her.

She Is trapped with no where to go. I come face to face with this ethereal creature. Stunning amethyst eyes surrounded by a wealth of luxurious lashes narrow as they assess me seeking a weakness she won't find in me. I'm skilled in dealing with her kind, trained from earliest childhood to counter their many tricks. Most hybrids have watered down abilities, being several generations removed from their angelic ancestor. This girl radiates power. I realize she is the one my superiors have been seeking, and as I face off with her, I understand why. One tiny creature shouldn't wield that much power.