Compulsion

ANGEL:

Stupid, stupid, stupid!!! I'm furious with myself for choosing this narrow lane that dead ends. The tent residents around me all disappear inside their dwellings, leaving me alone with this humongous soldier who's been tracking me for hours.

He's not taking me without a fight! I'm not going down without inflicting some damage on him. He may be huge, but I'm not helpless just because I'm tiny in comparison.

I wait for him to approach, but he keeps a wary distance between us. He's at the mouth of the lane, waiting for his buddies! It doesn't take long for his two helpers to join him, one on either side. They are large and bulked out with muscles like the first one, but not quite as big or menacing. All three of them have long guns slung across their backs, and a host of knives and throw-ables strapped up and down their bodies. I see several sets of eyes peeking out through tent flaps to watch the excitement.

I prepare myself for battle, drawing on the cold fire within me. If there's only the three of them I have hope of escaping from this alley. My hands, hidden behind my back, fill with icy white light. As the three step forward in unison, I bring my glowing arms forward. Hands up and out the blast leaves my palms causing surprised shouts around me. My opponents fly back with the blast as I fall to my knees...all except one, who only staggers back a few paces. A menacing look descends over his face as he considers me, the laser rifle now in his hands. I blast him again, focusing all my energy directly, but this time he's ready for me, and leans right into the blast. Incredibly he steps forward into it, his face grimacing with the strain of moving closer to me.

I can feel myself weakening, as the energy leaves me, so I stop blasting. It's not helping me anyway. If I continue to use my angel fire I fear I'll pass out and be vulnerable. I don't want to be at the mercy of this brute.

The hulking soldier approaches me, his comrades back to either side of him with their guns trained on me. The red laser points from the rifles light up my chest and forehead. Now that they know I'm a threat their expressions have hardened. The enemy is fanned out and I'm trapped within this dead end alley. The only way out is through, but their weapons have me pinned in place.

"Give it up, girl," the leader rumbles in an impossibly deep voice. His dark eyes are lit from the glow of battle and from his apparent victory. As he steps closer his gaze sweeps over me with slow deliberation. I feel violated just from his look, as if it alone was enough to steal my innocence. A shudder I can't contain rocks through me as he crowds into my personal space, towering over me.

From my crouched position I consider my options....I can feel weakness threatening to overtake me from overuse of my angel talents, but I'm angry, scared and desperate. I refuse to be taken by these brutal soldiers in their uncompromising armor...armor designed to withstand the force of angel fire, as well as any human weapons.

"Coming with us won't be so bad," he promises with a smirk as his boots stop right in front of me. His almost bald head shines in the moonlight. A pattern of tattoos winds across it. They look like some ancient language. I wonder if they are a motto or a declaration. Are they there by his choice? Maybe they are a brand from the Republic, marking him as their property.

His casual stance belies the anxiety of his men behind us and the situation we are currently in. His manner is reminiscent of someone inviting a friend for a casual drink as invites me to stand up. I'm still a little weak and shaky from the energy I sent out, so I feign defiance as I remain as I am, needing a little more time to recuperate. Now annoyed, he reaches down to grip my arms and haul me to my feet.

He holds me up in front of him and his smirk deepens at the disparity in our heights. His grip is like iron, pinning me in place. His dark gaze falls on my lips, and I watch as he licks his.

"How old are you, girl?" he drawls, his gaze once again travels my feminine curves. I kick him in the shin for my response, but unfortunately his thick boot protects him. He chuckles as I wince at the pain in my toes from the effort.

"Feisty," he comments as he looks over and nods at his soldiers.

Instantly they come forward with cuffs to restrain me. Their annoyance at being blasted with angel fire is evident in the rough way they snap the restraints on my wrists and ankles.

"Be as feisty as you like, little bit, well...as much as you're able with cuffs on."

His confidence in my lack of choices irks me. There must be some out that I just haven't detected yet.

I look up and meet my captor's impossibly dark eyes. They are so dark the black of his pupils is barely visible in contrast. Without enhanced angel senses I probably wouldn't be able to distinguish where iris ends and pupil begins. "Black as his soul," I think to myself as I prepare to try compulsion on him. It didn't work so well with the gate guard, but I'm not giving up without a fight.

I focus my energy on him, allowing my gaze to ensnare his. I watch as some of his vigilance slackens.

"You had more fun chasing me than catching me," I suggest in a smooth voice.

A frown ripples across his brow, and he blinks. For a moment I think he'll reply to my comment, but he doesn't. Not a positive sign. I try again.

"Capturing a little thing like me is a waste of your time and talents. There are real criminals out there you need to deal with," my voice is like liquid butter as it flows over him. Even his two companions cock their heads to the side and blink. All three of them wear a confused frown.

"You want to let me go," I continue without pause.

At this the soldier that holds me shakes his head imperceptibly. His grip on my arms loosens, but he doesn't let go completely. One hand stays wrapped around my upper arm. The other hand reaches up to stroke my face. The movement startles me, interrupting my compulsion efforts for a few seconds as I regain my composure from this unexpected intimacy. The brutish soldier wears a wistful look as his fingers caress my skin.

"You're as soft as you look," he murmurs as his fingertips graze over my cheek, my neck, and then my lower lip. My body shudders in revulsion at the intimacy of his touch.

"Stop!" I regain my voice and now it reverberates with command. His motions immediately pause.

"Let me go now," I demand, my eyes blazing into his. My voice is a flaming whip. The intensity rocks his whole body and his grip on me slackens. His companions step back and turn to walk away as I pull my arm free.

"Follow them," I order the hulking soldier, pointing at his comrades. His head turns to see the other two walking to the end of the alley.

Hope flares inside me that the compulsion has been effective. I hold my breath as the soldier considers his two companions, who now exit the alley and fade out of sight. While his gaze is averted I begin to edge away from him, putting space between us.

"Follow them now," I repeat my directive, watching as his body wavers with indecision as it struggles to obey my command. At his sides, his hands clench into fists. His grip is so tight the tendons on his arms stand out. As his feet turn toward the mouth of the alley I hear a guttural growl as he fights the compulsion. I fear I'm losing control. Once more my voice reverberates with the order for him to go. His feet drag in protest as he fights me, but while he is occupied I slip around him and dash away. I hear his angry, unintelligible shout as I round the corner and fade into the crowds.

With him tailing me no longer I make a hasty path to the black market deep in the heart of Shanty Town. I've spent hours of evasion and even more time trying to escape the trio of captors. Night will soon be over, and I'll need shelter from the hot sun. I'll have to find a place to stay near the market. With any luck, the fake documents I need can be created and ready to go tomorrow. Then I can decide if I need to leave Noma Point.