Chapter Fifty Three

-Athena's POV-

"What is she doing here?" Donna's wicked voice seemed far away. My eyes and mind were locked with Dick's, staring each other down. I was trying to convey how sorry I was through my eyes, but it didn't seem to work. I knew how I looked on the outside. I had spent way too long developing the strong, confident, intimidating look that I couldn't change it.

"Nightingale is here to rejoin the team. I think the whole situation was a misunderstanding. We all have our pasts," Aqualad glanced at me and Artemis, "and the past does not define our presents or our futures. Nightingale has a sensitive past that she wants to keep personal and I think we can respect that.

"It is what she does now that defines her, not what she has done. And so far, she has proved that she serves justice, just like we do," Kaldur put his arm on my shoulder, but I could barely feel it resting there, "however, this is not a dictatorship. I will leave it up to a vote."

Everyone glanced around. A fire flashed behind Dick's eyes. I felt my eyebrows knit together. Deep inside of me, maybe in the pit of my stomach or in my heart, I felt a twinge of pain shoot through me. I had experienced physical pain -- pain so intense it was a miracle I survived -- but the last emotional pain I felt was when Coda was killed.

Dick's eyes left mine. He jerked around, his back facing me. I could hear his feet stomp against the floor as he stormed out of the room.

"Dick!" Wally called out. Artemis gripped his arm, keeping him in place. His eyes slid to mine, a glare on his face as well.

Donna smirked.

"Well, let's vote. I do not want to waste anymore time. If you think Nightingale shouldn't be on the Team, say so now," Aqualad crossed his tanned arms.

"No more traitors," Wally growled. Donna, of course, agreed. Guardian also offered up his opinion.

"Assassins are usually bad guys...I don't think having her on the Team is a good idea." He cowered down as Bumblebee looked over. She looked hurt and she wasn't even the one being debated against.

"I think Athena is one of the most trustworthy people I know. Her past doesn't change that," Zatanna stated boldly.

"We all make mistakes," Batgirl agreed.

"Aren't heroes supposed to give second chances?" Cassie smiled, her bright teeth seeming to fill the room with sunshine. Tim nodded along, flashing me a reassuring grin.

"She's one of the best people on this team, we can't just let her leave," Connor said, "especially when I still haven't defeated her in a fight." He winked.

"Athena has been gone for two months without any contact with us," Artemis flashed me a glare, "and look what she has done -- nothing. She didn't go kill people, she didn't go to Ra's Al Ghul. She stayed here."

"She has a good heart," Roy didn't look at me, but a smile lit him up.

After everyone offered up their opinions, Aqualad took the final deciding votes. "We have three against, seven for, and seven abstained. We need one person to make a decision."

Blue Beetle stepped forward. "I know what betrayal feels like. I experienced it during the fight with the Reach. Nightingale didn't betray us."

"Then, she stays," no one cheered or shouted, "let's assign missions."

As everyone gathered around the computers, I turned my head before arms wrapped around me. My legs left the floor as I was spun gently. When I was finally let down, Roy's face looked like it was about to split open. His mouth was about to touch his ears, his smile was so wide. His cheeks were almost as red as his hair.