Chapter Fifty Eight

-Athena's POV-

I tried to stay calm. I could see fires and destruction wrecking the city. Two prisons had been released, meaning hundreds of criminals were running wild. Batman discussed with the rest of the Bat family what exactly each one of us should do.

"Robin, you are helping free the civilians and get them to safety. Batgirl, you will defend the east side. Nightwing, you take the west. Nightingale, you take the north. The south is the most dense so I will be handling that," everyone glanced around and nodded their understanding, "Make sure to keep your com systems active and tune into the police radio. Allow the GCPD to help you, but do not put the officers in unnecessary danger. Let them handle the captured criminals."

I looked nervously at Dick. He caught my gaze and gave me a reassuring smile. When everyone went in their separate directions, I approached Dick.

"It'll be okay," he interrupted, "we always go on missions like this."

I swallowed down the looming feel that was arising in the pit of my gut. "I know."

He smirked and put a hand on my cheek. "Just don't die, okay?"

"I can't make any promises," I said, repeating our little saying. We both chuckled and dove off of the building. 

I immediately crashed down in the middle of some Blackgate prisoners. They were destroying buildings and wrecking cars. They formed a circle around me as I kneeled. 

"Well, well, well. Looks like we got a bat here!" One of them called.

"A girl bat too!"

I glanced up, a smile on my face. A large criminal charged, but I just dodged out of the way and kicked him down. I pulled out my katanas, the sound of the metal sliding echoed around the street. The red light of the fires glinted on the shiny blades as I sliced the criminals around me.

Every time one would try to grab me or charge at me, I would flip over them and land on them harder. I had to restrain myself from killing them. Instead, I just let my swords cut through non-lethal parts of their bodies. After I defeated the little circle that formed around me, I grappled around looking for more. The GCPD were around the corner, desperately shooting at drugged up men. 

"Move!" I commanded. The police cleared out of the way, leaving only the huge Bane-wanna be's. I dropped an EMP bomb on the ground, shocking the enemies. It only temporarily stunned the guys. I dropped down and inserted the cure into their arms. It was a cure to most forms and copy of what was called "The Blockbuster Project." When the criminals injected themselves with the strength syrium, all I had to do was inject them with the cure and it would reverse the effects. 

I looked at the unconscious guys. Without the Blockbuster effects, they were almost all just scrawny guys. I laughed and continued on my way. 

I was in the middle of another fight against some criminals when I got a call from Batman as well as a notification from the Police Radio Station. I could even hear sirens going off from across the city. 

"Arkham Asylum has been released," he sounded calm, but even I could hear his worry, "Joker Venom has also been unleashed on Gotham."

Panic flooded my body. I remember what Joker had planned. My heart beat quickly as I waited for Batman to finish.

"Robin, you should move into the East and West. Batgirl, you take the North and South. Nightwing and Nightingale, hand out cures to the people and fight off the Arkham criminals. I'm going after Joker."

I swung towards the section of the city that the Arkham patients had escaped to. When I landed, I looked around for Grayson. He hadn't showed up yet. A cold chill went down my body. "Nightwing, come in Nightwing," I called his com. No response.