Chapter One - A New Friend .

***Authors Note: Shoutout to @BaddieMoonwalker For Making This Awesome Cover! Go Follow Her And Read Her Books :)

Zonnique Pullins

Tuesday, November 15th
6:00 a.m.

"Zonnique! Get your worthless ass up and get ready for school!" I heard my step-dad, Jamal yell at me.

He always does this. It's nothing new. I wait for him to leave my bedroom so I can start my daily routine. Once I hear the door close, I crawl out of bed and make my way to my bathroom and shut and lock the door. I turn on the shower water so it can warm up while I undress. I quickly take off my night clothes that I slept in, and looked at myself in my full-length mirror. I was starting to show a little.

Yes, I'm pregnant by that monster Jamal. I haven't told him yet though. That'll only make him mad.

I get in the shower and let the hot water soothe my sore muscles. I let my thoughts wander as I began to wash.

I thought about that girl yesterday who hugged me in the bathroom. Who was she? And more importantly, why did she come check on me?

I didnt have time to think about it. It was almost 7:00 and I still needed to get ready.

I got out of the shower and wrapped my towel around my body to dry off. I made sure I had everything in the bathroom with me that I needed because if I didn't that means I'll have to go in my room and he, most likely, will be in there.

I had all my clothes and lotions and makeup in here with me so I'm all good. I quickily lotioned up and sprayed my favorite perfume, 'Japanese Cherry Blossom' from Bath and Body Works.

Next, I got dressed. I picked out a 'Cold Gold' Tee, skinny jeans, my tan Timberland boots, and my 'SWAG' tobogan*. I left my hair curly from the shower.

I quickly did my makeup and threw on my hoodie. I grabbed my purse, phone and car keys and left.

I hurried past the living room carefully so that Jamal wouldn't hear me coming. Once I got to the door, I turned the knob slowly and snuck out of the house.

Once I was outside, I practically ran to my car. I started it and backed out of the driveway as fast as possible.

When I was as far away from the house as possible, I slowed down. I let 'Dirty Laundry' by Kelly Rowland blast through my speakers. This is my song! This song speaks to me. I really think she wrote it just for me.

Before I knew it, I was pulling into the school parking lot.

Another day, another harsh comment.

I grabbed my purse phone and backpack and walked into the building with my head down.

I got to my locker and put my stuff up. I got my binder out for Mr. Taylor's class and made my way up to the third floor.

I was the first in class as usual. I sat in the desk at the very back and took out my journal and started to write.

Dear Mama,
I miss you more and more everyday. Please tell me how I'm supposed to deal with this pain. Mama, why'd you have to leave?

My writing was interrupted by someone tapping my shoulder. I looked up to see the girl from yesterday.

"Hey. How's it goin?" she asked

"It's goin' good, I guess." I shrugged.

"Oh. I'm Bahja, by the way."

"I'm Zonnique. Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah, sure. Anything." Bahja replied.

"Why did you come help me yesterday?" I inquired.

"Well, because I felt bad because lf what Janae said to you. -" I cut her off.

"That's nothing new." I said "It happens everyday."

"I didn't know. I'm sorry." She gasped.

"Yeah."

"Can I ask you something?" Bahja said.

"Yeah."

"Did you tell your mom?" She inquired.

"I, um, dont have a mom anymore." I said, trying to choke back the tears.

"I'm soo sorry." she said

"Yeah." I shrugged again.

"What about your dad?" She interrogated.

"I never knew him." I said.

"Oh. Then who do you live with?" she asked.

"My evil step-father aka the father of this child."

"Oh my gosh. He.....raped you?" Bahja whispered.

I just nodded and the bell rang. All the other students started filing in.

And class began.

-----

I spent the whole day at school with Bahja. She's cool. I offered her a ride home since she had to take the bus. When we got to the parking lot and made our way over to my car, she gasped.

"This is your car?" She said, admiring my navy blue Camaro.

"Yeah." I said.

"It's so awesome!"

"Yeah, yeah." I teased. "Get in."

She did as she was told and we pulled out of the parking lot.

"So, where am I headed, Strawberry Shortcake?"

"Aye! Don't be makin' fun of my hair nah!" She said, her ATL definitely comin out. "Just for that, you have to take me to Starbucks."

I laughed "Thats fine with me!"

We drove to Starbucks and we both ordered a White-Chocolate Mocha. Once we had our drinks, we went to sit down at a booth and talked. And man can this girl talk.

When we both had finished our drinks, we went back to my car so I could drive her home.

"Where do you live, Bahj?" I asked.

"Um, I live in the southside of town." she admitted quietly.

The southside is like the hood, forreal. Who would've guessed she lived there? I mean from what I know, I'd figured she was rich.

I drove to the Southside of town. I noticed Bahja was unusually quiet.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing. You can let me out right here." She said.

"Alright. Before you go, let me give you my number."

I wrote my number down on a piece of paper and handed it to her.

"Call me if you need anything, okay?"

"Okay."

I gave her a hug and made sure she made it to her house. Once, I was sure she was inside, I pulled off.

I actually think I made a new friend today.

****

What do yall think ?