Chapter Two - Thats What Are Friends For

Bahja Rodriguez

"Where the fuck you been?" James snarled when I walked in.

"Uhh, I-I w-was at sch-school, James." I stammered

"Why the fuck you lyin?!"

"I-i'm not. I'm being honest."

"Come here."

He grabs me by my hair and starts to pull me to the room.

"No, Daddy!" I yell.

---
3 Hours Later

I wept and wept from the pain he caused. No one knows about this. I didnt even tell Nique. I would have called her but I don't have a phone.

I got up and took a shower because I still felt dirty. Once I got out, I put on some grey sweatpants, a white tee, and my old Ugg boots.

I made sure I grabbed my purse and jacket and I walked out the house. I sped walked to the nearest pay phone. Which was, luckily, 2 miles away.

I walked and walked without stopping for anyone. Even the dudes who wanted my number.

When I got to the pay phone, I put my two quarters in and dialed Nique.
"Hello?" she answered

"Nique?" I said

"Yeah."

"It's me. Bahj. Can you come pick me up?"

"Sure. Where are you?" she inquired.

"At the corner of 1st and Peachtree Ave."

"Alright. I'm on my way."

I sat down on the bench next to the pay phone waiting for Nique. It was beginning to get cold so I pulled on my jacket and zipped it all the way up.

Nique was there in 20 minutes. When she pulled up, I jumped up and practically ran to her car.

"Drive, Nique. Drive!" I yelled.

She did as told. I could see him out of her rearview mirror. He had a gun. Thank God, Nique can drive fast.

We sped all the way to Niques house. It was huge. It was white on the outside, with huge balcony's on the second story.

"Nique, your house is perf!" I exclaimed.

"Everything that shimmers, isn't gold." she quoted.

We got out of her car and walked up the front steps, she unlocked the door, scanning the room for her evil step-father.

"Coast is clear." she said motioning for me to close the door.

She led me upstairs to her room, which was huge. She had lots of boxes laying around.

"Zonnique, what are these boxes for?" I asked, my curiosity taking over.

"I'm leaving. But, no one can know. No one but you."

"Where are you going?" I asked shocked that my only friend was leaving.

"I'm moving into an apartment downtown."

"Oh okay." I said relieved "I thought you were gonna say Texas or somewhere."

"Haha. No silly. I would never leavey bestfriend."

"Awwwwwweeeeeee!" I gushed .

"Hush, with all that gushy stuff and helped me pack."

"Haha. Okay."

I helped Nique pack all her things and put them in her car. Luckily, Jamal didn't show up.

We drove to her downtown apartment. Almost all night we were unpacking and arranging furniture. I had to tell her though. I had to tell her about what he has been doing.

I got us some popcorn, turned off the light, and put in a movie.

"Nique, I have to tell you something."

"Whats up, Bahj?"

I spilled the beans. I let it all out. I told her about the rape, the bullying, the abuse. I just let it all be known. By the end of it, we were both in tears.

"I'm so sorry, Bahj." She hugged me. I let my tears fall freely.

"Zonnique?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I stay with you?" I say

"Of course you can."

"Thank you so much." I hug her once more.

"Thats what friends are for."

We lay on the couch watching movies together for the rest of the night. I thank God for a person like Zonnique. She's been good to me.

*****

Sooo Finally Chapter 2 . What Yall Think ?