Chapter 18: Ryker Dare

"You pinky promise me?" - Kei Valancia

~~~~~~~~~~

I left Titus standing on the porch, shutting the front door behind me and letting the cooler air ease the burning annoyance in my mind.

"I swear I'm going to strangle his thin neck!" Kei's voice carried through the house and I found her outrage immensely amusing.

"And I would not stop her in any way."

"But let us hope that it does not come to that," I mused to Axel, heading in the direction of the kitchen. He chuckled and agreed.

"I would be careful with what you say, love." I walked in to see Kei sitting at the bar along with Jeremy and Kasey. The three snapped their heads to look at me and I raised an eyebrow at them. "Did I interrupt something?"

Nobody responded, and instead, Kei jumped off of the bar stool and practically flew across the space between us, tackling me with a hug.

"Where have you been?" she asked in distress, her voice muffled by the material of my shirt. I chuckled and wrapped an arm around her shoulders while patting her on the head lightly.

"I had some pack business I needed to do. Nothing dangerous, I promise." She pulled back, just enough to give me an incredulous look.

"Pack business?" I smirked and ruffled her hair. She shook my hand off and grumbled under her breath as she tried to fix it.

"Yes, pack business. We may be in the city of sin, but I still have to stay vigilant in my responsibilities."

She pursed her lips in a small pout. "Can I get in on some of this 'pack business?'" I laughed and tucked her into my side, letting my arm dangle off her shoulder.

"First we need to make sure the king of fae doesn't end up whisking you away from me. Then I will show you everything, okay?" Her pout deepened but she nodded after a moment.

"Fine. But you better not hold anything from me, got it?" Her gaze became pointed and I smiled reassuringly.

"I promise. I'll show you all the nitty gritty details and more, how does that sound?" I brushed a stray strand of her silver hair behind her ear, loving the silkiness of it.

"You pinky promise me?" She took a step back and held up her hand, her pinky the only one standing out proudly. I was caught off guard and it took me a moment to give her a response.

"Of course." I held out my own, noticing the contrast of my pinky dwarfing hers. Her slender finger curled around my own, forging a promise between the two of us. She. grinning and looking satisfied, while I only looked down at her in amusement as we held our pinkies together a few seconds more before releasing.

"You are such a kid sometimes." But my words held no rebuke to them. She winked at me and skipped back to the bar stool happily. I vaguely realized Jeremy and Kasey still sitting at the bar, watching us in unabashed fascination.

"They are so cute," Kasey said with a sigh.

"If you say so," Jeremy replied uninterested. They continued to bicker but I ignored them and went to stand in front of Kei. Standing behind her, I wrapped my arms around her shoulders and nipped at her ear. She let out a girlish squeal and laughed. "Let's give them some alone time," Jeremy murmured to Kasey and I heard her quiet agreement and the two got up and left. I would remember this and made a note to let those two have a day off or two in the future. But for right now, I just wanted to soak in the presence of my mate. I nipped at her ear again and let her scent run through my senses.